• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fly bridge.

Superiorboater
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Duluth, MN

Fly bridge.

Post by Superiorboater »

I have a 33 ft. 1978 Albin aftcabin trawler and the flybridge deck is soft.. What is the best way to repair it ?
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Fly bridge.

Post by jleonard »

Is it fiberglass or teak?
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Post by cdsailor »

Assuming the soft deck is a recent development and not a design flaw, there's quite a bit of information on the internet about repairing soft decks. Although there are a few creative approaches, if the core is compromised - locally or extensively - the most effective repair is to remove the top skin of fiberglass (and teak decking, if present), remove wet (typically), rotten core, replace with new core, lay down several layers of new fiberglass, fair, prime, paint, add a nonskid finish (or install teak and skip paint and nonskid).

Small areas of core damage can sometimes be strengthened by a drill and fill method, which involves drilling a series of evenly spaced holes on a grid pattern and then filling those holes with epoxy. That is a bandaid approach, however. Having seen and repaired a few wet cores, drill and fill can amount to little more than epoxy plugs floating in wood mush - not too effective.

Fixing bad core isn't difficult, but it is messy, time consuming, and materials costs add up. Doing it yourself is much less expensive than hiring out the job.

Good luck!
David
Superiorboater
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Duluth, MN

Post by Superiorboater »

It is fiberglass, I am thinking of cutting the seats off to try to do the job right. What is the core made of ?
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Not sure but the core is most likely teak plywood squares to mimic balsa core.
I re-did the flybridge on my "ex" an old 34 Mainship. It was balsa core, but the process is going to be the same.
I cut the top fiberglass skin off (in sections to keep the integrity) then scraped out the rotted balsa core. Some of it was so wet I could squeeze out the water like a sponge. Then I used 5/8 exterior plywood bonded to the inside of the lower skin with bondo, which is compatable with polyester resin. The plywood was "painted" prior to bonding with polyester resin tinned 25% with acetone.
Then one layer of 1 1/2 ounce mat, followed by a layer of woven roving, then several layers of mat.
Finally after grinding the crown back, vinylester gelcoat with non skid mixed in.
LBI out of Groton Ct gave me the method of repair, they are fiberglass pros.
I can send pictures if you give me your e mail address.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “33/34”