• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin A34

Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Albin A34

Post by Gunny »

:D :D :D Well this past Thursday after a good survey and sea try I am now the owner an Albin A34. My good friend and fellow baoter and I are on the ICW at an at the moment we are in Norfolk. Friday we left Middle River, MD. Spending the first night at Solomans and now in Norfolk. So far no real complaints. The engine has run as good as one could ask fo. Tomorrow we will transit the Dismal Swamp Canal and head for Elizabeth City. Has taken a bit to get used to the different systems. Hope all have a great weekend and will be talkiing with you.
Boatmon

Re: Albin A34

Post by Boatmon »

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I hope you have a safe and uneventful passage, please continue to keep us posted and take care!
Ron222
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Kingman Yacht Center, Pocasset, MA

Post by Ron222 »

I haven't been hibernating but checking the website hasn't been easy lately. Pretty busy working on our new (as of last Sept) A34. Major winter projects to say the least. In fact, there won't be much left of the old boat when all these projects and retrofits get done by May. So far new holding tank (30 gal), new water tanks (3 - totaling 80 gals), all new hoses and fittings, repaired broken motor mount- cutlass bearing - shaft log, new battery charger (50 amp), new generator (3 kW), all 12 ports leaked, new tracks for sliding window in wheelhouse, spent months digging rotten balsa - filling ports with fiberglass - rebuilding the Beckson ports then rebedding. Not to mention the section of the deck that was water sodden and the balsa removed and deck re-enforced, new windlass, headliner repairs, etc. Will be starting the painting of the non-skid and engine soon. I'm really pleased to hear of Gunny's new A34...Congratulations. I hope we can share lots of experiences when you have a chance. Question: how did your A34 handle the seas especially a following sea??
Ron (1986 A34 Paumanok)
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: Albin A34 at home in Charleston finally

Post by Gunny »

:D :D :D Sorry for the big gap in info but with weather, dead spots etc and lots of water through the windshield we survived the trip. As with any trip anything that could screw up, break and such usually comes out and it did. The heads started giving problems right off the start and didn't get any better. Found numerous leaks as we were blessed with a wild ride down the Alligator and Pungo! Weather kept us to half days and we were thankful for it. Again I praise the Cummins as it never gave us a problem one. End of trip we used about a pint of oil and we pushed the boat hard at times. Very happy with the good solid ride the boat provided in some rough weather. Other trawlers didn't come close. Leaving Alligator Marina the topside steering station started leaking and became even worse. We put in at Elizabeth City and being Sunday had to wait over night to get to the hardware store. I believe the seals gave out from lack of use and then us giving it a good one. Capped off the hoses and pumped the system back up. Gave us no further problem. The Alligator Marina is first class and we were treated like kings. Only three boats there. Good old fashion cooking at the store. Heads were clean and functional.Solomons was almost deserted and can't say much for the marina or facilities. They were however very friendly and ran 8 hoses just to let us tank up on water.Norfok was a blur it seemed as we were tired by then and required little. The Dismal Swamp Canal was a pleasure. The lock tender gives you an oral history of the locks and canal. Picture postcard material. Bellhaven, what can I say? Old South charm and curtesies.Not in swing for the season yet but treated first class. Docks need work but the people and sights make it a pleasurable stop. Best fuel prices on the trip were in Sneads Ferry, NC at $2.35 a gallon. Myrtle Beach was our last night on the ICW and we spent it at Barefoot Landing. Nice dockage but no showers. Head is available off the dock. Of course the shopping and eating are available on site.
Sorry for the length and info is certainly not in order. We had good times overall and now I have to get to work to fix the NEW boat. I had a catamaran prior to purchasing this boat and thought it was big. This Albin 34 ia a BIG boat!
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

Be sure to post lots of photos!

Return to “33/34”