• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 34 FlyBridge - removal

JDHFX
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Halifax

Albin 34 FlyBridge - removal

Post by JDHFX »

Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a 1986 Albin 34 and I have been told that the FlyBridge will need in order to ship it as it is too tall. Does anyone know the exact height from the bottom of the keel to the top of the fly bridge? If it does need to be removed has anyone done this? Is it hard to do? Any instructions available?

Thanks
T
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: Albin 34 FlyBridge - removal

Post by whwells »

JEHFX: This reponse may not be fully accurate but hopefully helpful. This past summer I had a 35TE Sportfisher moved from Georgina Bay (Tronoto) to Richmond, BC. We needed to be under 16' to get across the Canadian highway. You may find it is somewhat less in the states and should be checked out with your boat movers. Incidentally, I did have to remove the flybridge from a 290 Luhrs to bring across the southern route Mobile to No. Calif.

The 35' Ablin at the factory suggested removal time and or replacement time at 20 plus hours. That turned out to be accurate for me. You will need to have a platform built to hold the flybridge. Expect that removing the flybridge and building the platform near the 25 hours. The costs of the plywood and framing materials was about 500.00. You can estimate 75.00 to 100.00 per hour for the labor dependng upon where you are . You should be able to stay near 20 hours to reinstall with a person experienced in doing the process. Experience is important.

You will need to consider the differerence' between a 34' and a 35' but my guess is the time will be close. Do you have a picture of the 34? You can see my 35' here for what it looked like for R&R time. My man did a great job but was the local guy who did most of the installs back when lots of boats were being shipped that way.

Before you take it off - determine if you can ship under 16' in your area. Would save you a lot. My guy hauling the Luhrs last time I shipped it with flybridge still on when approaching an off ramp under 16' just took the off ramp up one side & down the other. The dept. of tranp. in Wash, Oregon, and Calif. were okay with that approach and so issued the permit. I know now it could have been towed across the country on the southern route without removing the flybridge.

Don't let this scare you off the buy. What you need to ask is with the price of shipping preparation does it still make it a good buy and the right boat for you. Don't be afraid to tell the buyer he will have to share costs to put the deal together. I am still happy with purchase and remain in touch with the broker and seller who have become good friends.

There are some posting you can read by pulling up "flybridge" for more detail.

whwells "Howard"
2006 35TE Sportfisher/Conv.
Anacortes, Wa.

There are lots of stuff to be removed so know your man before you start. In my case the broker/ and seller spit the price to remove the flybridge and I paid for reinstallation. They were great people to work with.

Return to “33/34”