• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 33 info?

tomdove
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Kent Narrows, Maryland

Albin 33 info?

Post by tomdove »

Hi All,

This weekend, I expect to sea test and decide on a 1979 Albin 33, "Pirouette Two", which is at Kent Narrows. The deal is excptionally good and the boat is in fairly good condition, needing cosmetics and a couple of known larger issues, including bottom blisters. It was well maintained until the owner died a few years ago but has been pretty much in storage since that. I can't find anything about this model on the Albin site or the Trawler Forum and would like to know more about it.

I'm an experienced sailor (60+ years afloat) and sold my 1976 Ranger 33 sailboat last year because I couldn't manage the sail handling any more. It appears to be time for a trawler, and I've been looking around for a year.

Ideas? Suggestions? Info?

-- Tom Dove
Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Re: Albin 33 info?

Post by Mike »

Tom,
What a coincidence, my neighbor just brought that boat home last weekend. She is very unique, and a lot of teak. He is very handy and knowledgeable and will no doubt have her shipshape in due time. I liked the pull down sink in the forward cabin!

Beth
Time Out Annapolis
pequod34
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Annapolis

Post by pequod34 »

Yes, I bought the boat, a heck of a deal. Although, I had no intention of buying another boat. It belonged to a friend's father. Had it surveyed and Randy found a whole bunch of stuff I didn't. So there's a to-do list as long as the boat. The good news is that it's sound and much of it works. It's also been in a covered slip for about 10 years. The bad news is that it leaks from above. I now have the aft cabin windows out and have pulled down the headliner. There's some rot, particularly in the port aft corner of the aft cabin. That's out now too. There's also a leak in the starboard v-berth that I have yet to chase down. The teak deck needs all the bungs pulled and all the screws reset in 5200. Have removed some of the polysulfide between teak planks with obvious seal failure. Still need to pull it out around the Sampson post. That's been leaking for ever, since the plywood at the bottom of the chain locker is about gone. There are 3 essential big projects: 1) refasten the rudder post support bracket (probably need to haul for that), 2) replace the motor mounts, and 3) replace the exhaust hose. #3 is going to be a wrestling match to get the new hose in. Taking the old one out can be expedited with a sawsall. The hose goes through partial bulkheads about every 2 feet and they support the hose. Although secure, it's very bad for noise transmission. It really needs to be suspended with resilient mounts. I'll be working on this all summer and into the fall. Hopefully by then, it will be ready to make the trip down the ICW. To quote Jimmy Buffett, "I want to be where it's warm!" Oh, I failed to mention that it's a varnish farm. I'm no stranger to varnish but this is way too much and no match for the Florida sun. To quote my friend and former surveyor, Fred Hecklinger, "Nothing that a gallon or two of white paint can't fix".

Jeff
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Good luck Captain!! The sun sure is intense down this way. I used a Cetol Natural Teak on our teak.....always need to be spruced up!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC

Return to “33/34”