• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Guest speaker - Chris Oliver - Diesel Engines

Coordinator - Lou Bennett (loubennett)
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Guest speaker - Chris Oliver - Diesel Engines

Post by jcollins »

Lou and I have contacted Chris Oliver to be a guest speaker at our Chesapeake rendezvous. Chris is a marine engine surveyor that will give a maintenance and troubleshooting talk on Saturday.
Here is his bio.
Chris Oliver applies forty years experience in the marine engine industry to conduct comprehensive engine and generator surveys of sail and power boats. He is an expert marine engine mechanic and surveyor for all diesel and gasoline engines and generators.

Chris founded Chesapeake Marine Engines in 1970. As owner and operator of the Annapolis, Maryland based company, he sold and serviced nearly every brand of diesel and gasoline marine engine and generator. Trouble-shooting, repair and maintenance, rebuilding, repowering, surveying, and installation were part of his daily work as he coupled his mechanical and technical abilities with business skills.

In 2005, he established Chris Oliver Marine Engine Surveyor, LLC to specialize in surveying. He surveys diesel and gasoline engines and generators for customers throughout the Atlantic Coastal region as well as other locations. Clients include potential boat buyers, boat owners, and insurance companies.

He also leads weekend engine maintenance and repair seminars for boat owners several times a year, and has taught marine engine classes at a community college in Maryland.

Chris' connection to the boating world reaches beyond the workplace. In his free time, he designs and builds high-performance 1-litre and 2.5 litre modified race engines and races his 2.5 litre modified hydroplane in APBA sanctioned events throughout the country. He has set two world records and won both national and North American high point championships.

Chris' experience in boat building and repair as well as mechanical knowledge provides competent observations. He is a qualified Yanmar, Universal, Perkins, Westerbeke, Farymann, and Lehman mechanic. All GM, Chrysler, Mercruiser and Crusader (Marine Power) gasoline engines are included in his inspections. Westerbeke, Kohler, Northern Lights, Panda and Onan generators may also be certified.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Re: Guest speaker - Chris Oliver - Diesel Engines

Post by loubennett »

John, I think we should schedule the talk before lunch on Saturday. That will leave people time to explore St. Michaels in the afternoon. I can reserve a meeting room in the hotel and they can provide suitable equipment projector, screen, etc.) if we need it. I'd like to make it 10AM or 11AM depending on how long the talk is. My goal would be to have it finished by Noon so people are free to do what they want for the afternoon.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
GoFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GoFish »

We are on vacation that week and are so sorry we will miss the rendevous, particularly Chris Oliver. He did our engine survey when we bought our 31 TE a few years back. He is incredibly knowledgable and very entertaining as well. Hope you all have a great time!

Go Fish!
Solomons MD
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Did this ever take place?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

RobS wrote:Did this ever take place?
I'm thinking only if there's been a time warp...the rendezvous doesn't happen until June...
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Thanks wisenheimer, I confused this with the FL group..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

RobS wrote:Thanks wisenheimer, I confused this with the FL group..
Just lookin' out for you my friend...too much time with your head in that filthy bilge of yours can cause "Sr. moments"! 8)

Hope you're getting out on the water - I'm headed down to the boat now!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

DougSea wrote:Just lookin' out for you my friend...too much time with your head in that filthy bilge of yours can cause "Sr. moments"! 8)
You call this clean?
DougSea wrote: Hope you're getting out on the water - I'm headed down to the boat now!
Absolutely! There's no where else I'd rather be. Heading to Montauk Yacht Club for Memorial Day Weekend. Can Sonny make it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »