• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

nissan 78 hp deisel

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

terraplane
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: rock hall maryaldn

nissan 78 hp deisel

Post by terraplane »

I am looking at a 1984 albin 27 with a nissan 78 hp deisel. 1340 hours. Can anyone advise. This is my first Albin experience.

terraplane
johnvb1014
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Wilson NY

Re: nissan 78 hp deisel

Post by johnvb1014 »

We bought a 1985 with a Nissan two years ago. The Nissan diesel is basically the LD28 that was used in the Nissan Maxima cars around 1984, so many parts are available through auto parts stores. One problem we ran in to involved replacing the damper plate. To match the Nissan diesel to the Hurth transmission a damper plate was used that is no longer available; and newer replacement plates don't match the needed dimensions so transmission shaft extends far enough into the damper plate hub. Ended up having to have the old one rebuilt. This is not an engine problem per se, but certainly something to think about if the boat you are looking at is matched to the Hurth 250 transmission.

At the end of last season I had the injectors rebuilt so am looking forward to seeing how it runs this season. Previously, too much vibration at low rpms but ok above about 1000 rpm. The boat was on the hard when injectors were replaced so it was only run briefly after injectors reinstalled.

I had also replaced all fuel lines and installed new fuel filters when the boat was first purchased.

I think the Nissan diesel is generally regarded as a pretty reliable engine and other than what I've mentioned mine has served us well so far.

Good luck

JVB
imagine30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Newport, RI

Post by imagine30 »

Have an 86 that we bought 3 yrs ago. Had 1800 hrs on it. Son in law is diesel mechanic so that helps. But we have had no major problems to date and just passed 2000 hrs. In any case I would run a compression test and have an oil analysis done. Good luck.
J O'Brien
WHISKEY ONE
Albin 27 FC, 1986
Coasters Harbor Marina
Naval Station Newport
hagan_dv
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Brunswick, GA

Re: nissan LD28 78 hp diesel refurbish

Post by hagan_dv »

Morning,
I am seeking parts for my Nissan LD28, 6 cyl. Inboard diesel for a refurbish of 1985 Albin 27FC. The Engine Serial # is 044783 or possibly S44783. Hoping that you might be able to help.
Parts Needed:
1. New - Timing Belt/ Fuel Pump Belt
2. Complete Gasket Set
3. Piston Ring Set (6)
4. Connecting Rod Bearing Set (6)
5. Water Pump/ Fresh water New or Rebuilt

Our Nissans are getting older, even our posts on AOG are aging. Can any of you, brothers & sisters on AOG provide one or more contacts/ suppliers from which I could find the items on my Want list above?

Any help/ suggestions/ contacts phone#, email, address would be greatly appreciated. Trust everyone is staying safe and careful, stay away from the sandbars, reefs, and the COVID viruses.
Thanks and Best fraternal regards,
Dan Hagan, CAPT
email: hagan_dv@mercer.edu
1985 Albin 27FC
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Check out "Rock Auto" and look up the '83 Nissan Maxima diesel. I believe all the parts you mentioned are available. I purchased 2 timing belts and gasket sets last year, as well as alternator belts and glow plugs. Ben '87 27FC #302
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

johnvb1014
Ref: Damper plate: when I had our Hurth rebuilt (at Maryland Transmissions in Churchton MD) I had to replace the damper plate. The new one was fractionally larger than the original as far as fitting the housing. I sent it to Gunther Marine Engineering in Edgewater MD for resizing. Fr around $65.00 I got a perfectly fitting plate, which has been running smoothly for 3 years. Moral of the story - yes, damper plates can be jimmied to fit.

Terraplane
I think I know the Albin you are looking at; I met it at an AOG Reunion a couple of years ago; it is in fine order, and has had several nice upgrades to fittings and fixtures.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
mikegutshall
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deale MD

Post by mikegutshall »

An you please share the approx cost to rebuild the Hurth transmission? I may face doing this with a HSW 800 VR on a 28TE. Will use Maryland Transmission if I need to do this. Thanks
Mike Gutshall
28TE Destiny

Return to “Albin Maintenance”