• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

4D61 circulating water pump shaft broken

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

joebuz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dauphin Island, AL

4D61 circulating water pump shaft broken

Post by joebuz »

My circulating water pump shaft has broken and I am having no luck finding a replacement. I have searched for a water pump for a Peugeot 1976 504 2.1 Diesel. No luck. Currently looking at a possible rebuild. I sure would appreciate any suggestions, thoughts or comfort :) !
Joe

"Eagle"
1984 Albin 27FC
Lehman 4D61
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: 4D61 circulating water pump shaft broken

Post by DCatSea »

2 years ago I had my raw water pump rebuilt by Depco Pump in Florida. It came back about 10 days later looking and acting like a brand new pump. Haven't had any issues since then (touching wood as I write). Their contact address is: http://www.depcopump.com/contactus.php. Can't remember who I dealt worth but it's certainly worth calling them.

Good luck with it.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Have you tried American Diesel in Kilmarnock, VA or Rockauto.com? I'm assuming you're talking about the engine circulating pump and not the raw water pump. Several raw water pumps can be easily adapted to your engine. Ben
joebuz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joebuz »

DCatSea wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:22 pm 2 years ago I had my raw water pump rebuilt by Depco Pump in Florida. It came back about 10 days later looking and acting like a brand new pump. Haven't had any issues since then (touching wood as I write). Their contact address is: http://www.depcopump.com/contactus.php. Can't remember who I dealt worth but it's certainly worth calling them.

Good luck with it.
Wow, that's encouraging. I'll contact them. BTW, was your shaft broken?
Joe

"Eagle"
1984 Albin 27FC
Lehman 4D61
joebuz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joebuz »

tego wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:50 pm Have you tried American Diesel in Kilmarnock, VA or Rockauto.com? I'm assuming you're talking about the engine circulating pump and not the raw water pump. Several raw water pumps can be easily adapted to your engine. Ben
It is the circulating pump and yes I've tried the usual suspects with no luck.
Joe

"Eagle"
1984 Albin 27FC
Lehman 4D61
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

It was my raw water impeller (pump) that was in dire need of reconditioning, not the circulator. I suggested Depco because they seem to have a good handle on pumps-in-general, and may be a good source of information or even help rebuilding. If I remember correctly the cost of a rebuild was quite a bit cheaper than getting a new pump.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

I'm pretty sure this is the right one, reasonable price too!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Water-P ... SwqctcqB0M

Note that yours probably doesn't have that plated tube coming out of the end. The Lehman parts book (posted in the "documents" section here) shows both types (with and without the tube) listed, but with a plug for the tube.

I ordered one for a spare, so I'll let you know if it's a match.

Tom
joebuz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joebuz »

motthediesel wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:18 am I'm pretty sure this is the right one, reasonable price too!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Water-P ... SwqctcqB0M

Note that yours probably doesn't have that plated tube coming out of the end. The Lehman parts book (posted in the "documents" section here) shows both types (with and without the tube) listed, but with a plug for the tube.

I ordered one for a spare, so I'll let you know if it's a match.

Tom
Thanks Tom . I just didn't think it was the right one since it's for a 80-83 Peugeot 504 2.3L-L4 and I thought mine is a Peugeot 1976 504 2.1... and then there's that tube. However, those two engines may use the same pump. Hope you're right! Please let me know.
Joe

"Eagle"
1984 Albin 27FC
Lehman 4D61
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Joe,

Peugeot produced the same basic engine in a bunch of different displacements, but I think a lot of the auxiliary parts will interchange. My engine (1985) does have that extra tube on the water pump. It is hooked to a hose to the heat exchanger loop in my domestic water heater.

Tom
joebuz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joebuz »

Hi Tom,
I'm not near my boat so I got someone to take some pictures. I'm convinced you are right. That's my pump. I ordered 1 today.

So... that raises a couple of questions. I was led to believe my engine was a Peugeot 1976 504, which really doesn't make sense. I actually found a picture of a pump for a 1976 and it does not look anything like mine. My boat is a 1984 model. So a Peugeot 1983 504 makes more sense. What year is your boat?

Also you said that the extra tube (mine is plugged) on yours goes to a water heater. Does it cycle through the water heater and return to the circulating pump?

Thanks for your help Tom. I believe you solved my problem.
Joe

"Eagle"
1984 Albin 27FC
Lehman 4D61
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

joebuz wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:36 pm Hi Tom,
I'm not near my boat so I got someone to take some pictures. I'm convinced you are right. That's my pump. I ordered 1 today.

So... that raises a couple of questions. I was led to believe my engine was a Peugeot 1976 504, which really doesn't make sense. I actually found a picture of a pump for a 1976 and it does not look anything like mine. My boat is a 1984 model. So a Peugeot 1983 504 makes more sense. What year is your boat?

My boat is an '85, and it has the same 2.1L engine as yours I'm sure. Peugeot made that engine in various displacements for a long time. It was used in the 404, 504, and 604 automobiles I believe. The same block was also used in trucks, tractors, and construction equipment. That includes Caterpillar fork trucks sold here, so that too could be a source for parts. I'm going to order a Cat/Peugeot starter to see if it will work. If it does I'll let everybody here know. If not, I'll just send it back and give up on that lead.

Also you said that the extra tube (mine is plugged) on yours goes to a water heater. Does it cycle through the water heater and return to the circulating pump?

Yes, the hot coolant circulates through a coil in the hot water tank as the boat is running. It could also be plumbed through a radiator for wheelhouse heat, a good idea for people who want to extend their boating season.

Thanks for your help Tom. I believe you solved my problem.
Glad to be of assistance Joe!
MagicDragon
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Florida

Post by MagicDragon »

Can anyone alsp direct me to the company that can rebuild this pump? The pump I have leaked coolant when in idol
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

I would try dep on, as noted in previous comments. They rebuilt our raw water pumps and believe they could also rebuild the water pump.
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida

Return to “Albin Maintenance”