• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 25 stuffing box

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

powellra
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Ithaca New York

Albin 25 stuffing box

Post by powellra »

The stuffing box on my 25 doesn't have two nuts for adjusting it looks like only a solid bronze fitting (like a piece of pipe) with a screw going through it like a set screw. This bronze "pipe" butts right up to the rubber hose does anybody have any information on how to maintain this type of stuffing box. Thanks for any help. Bob
Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 6.48.12 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Albin 25 stuffing box

Post by dkirsop »

It’s not a stuffing box. It has a lip seal at both ends which are lubricated with a soft marine grease. Grease is added as needed by removing the screw and putting a small amount in the hole then replacing the screw. I use either Quicksilver or OMC Marine Grease which come in a squeeze tube. I’ll post more information later this week.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Albin 25 stuffing box

Post by dkirsop »

Below is a drawing which illustrates the drive shaft components. The shaft seal is at the far right. Note that there is only a small space between the end of the shaft log and the back of the shaft seal housing. This is important as it keeps the rear seal of the shaft seal unit in place.
shaft seal.jpg
The seal in the front is held in place by friction. Grease should only be placed in small amounts. There has to be room left so it can expand when it warms up and not push the forward seal out. I find it only takes about a half inch long strip of grease on my finger to last the season.

Note that when you launch the boat you need to remove the air that will be trapped in the shaft log otherwise the seal will overheat and damage the seals. Loosen the two band clamps that attach to the bronze seal housing. Flex the rubber hose at this location until water starts to leak into the bilge and then tighten the clamps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Hull No. 1013, 1971

Return to “Albin Maintenance”