• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rudder off center. No key in the keyway

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Albesaurus
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Connecticut

Rudder off center. No key in the keyway

Post by Albesaurus »

Anyone else have this set up on their 28 TE engine box? I noticed my steering to starboard was off this past weekend and when i looked to trouble shoot. I saw this ( photos) no key in the key way and the slots not lined up. Also a bolt and lock nut used as a cotter pin. Set screw as the only hold on the shaft…

I never had an issue turning to starboard although i know it doesn’t like too. I have no choice in my docking situation.

This lack of steering to starboard was noticed for the first time last weekend when i was following a friend through the Thimbles. I couldn’t make the turns necessary to avoid the tight group of islands at planning speed. Steering to port was no problem at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Rudder off center. No key in the keyway

Post by RobS »

See my arrow - Looks like your key slid down allowing the rudder & tiller to come out of alignment. Get 'em realigned, re-insert the key. To keep it from falling out again you can put some divots in the key with a center punch or use a SS hose clamp to keep it from sliding out . The top bolt is there just as added protection to keep the rudder from falling out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

My rudder went the same once before. I machined up two spare keys for aluminium bronze and now carry them in the toolbox as just in case scenarios.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Albesaurus
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Connecticut

Post by Albesaurus »

Wow… thanks for pointing out the key in my own photo Bob. I did look for it in the bilge but i guess I didn’t look in the most obvious place!?. Headed to the boat now get her right again.
Always great to have Albin owners eyes on it!
Nick

Return to “Albin Maintenance”