• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2014 Pacific Northwest Rendezvous - Roche Harbor Resort

Coordinators: Dave Kircher (dkicher) and Howard Wells (whwells)
http://www.rocheharbor.com/
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Re: 2014 Pacific Northwest Rendezvous - Roche Harbor Resort

Post by coolchange »

raining like a banshee here and thinking about July trip...

We are making a change that has my wife and a friends wife leaving FH on the 17th and my friend Sid and I will be heading north for the Braughtons..via Vancouver and Sunshine Coast. Is anyone else planning on going North after the R. ? ( If so we should make a point of connecting at the Rendevous to discuss the fun)
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
RiverGirl
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: San Francisco Delta

Post by RiverGirl »

Howard. Looked into Roche harbor. Looks gorgeous. You mentioned a block of slips, is there a block of rooms? We are looking to purchase an albin 27fc in the future and would value the experience of meeting other albin27 owers. But the resort says nothing available. Are there other land accommodations near by?
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by coolchange »

Hey...if you can't find a place exactly in Roche..keep in mind that Friday Harbor is a short bus, bike, drive (rent or own car)...if you make it up there I will guarantee you a ride on a 27FC...and likely others will too. :)

Between Friday and Roche you are pretty much putting on your own boat show...from the multi-million dollar yachts to homemade campers...it's a blast. ..and you can work with a broker or two in Anacortes (where you take the ferry from to the islands.)

FYI..another option to look at is shown below...I have only seen one (up at Princess Louisa Inlet) and it was a pretty sweet craft...I am glad to not have found one and landed in the 27FC..one major reason is the 9'6 beam of the Albin vs the 8' of the R. (I have had both beams in a 27' and the stability and space in the 9'6" is notable...and out of maybe 15 trips on I-5 with the wider beam I have never been looked at for wide load infraction) These boats are about as scarce as the Albin and mostly in the east.

Rosborough RF-246

Rosborough is a family company, headquartered in Halifax, Nova Scotia, that builds a feature-packed cruiser for the rough North Atlantic waters that the company’s government and military customers operate in. Interestingly, this sedan-style cruiser (also available in a Custom Wheelhouse configuration) can be powered by either outboards or a sterndrive. The hull features a full-length 9” keel for directional stability. The beam is 8’ 6” and the overall length is 25’.

Rosborough’s RF-246 carries a remarkable 120 gallons of fuel in aluminum tanks to feed single or twin outboards up to a total of 300 hp, or a single diesel sterndrive up to 200 hp. A V-berth forward will accommodate two adults, and the convertible dinette can sleep two kids or one adult.

Rosborough says the boat features 100-percent positive flotation, which means that even fully swamped, it won’t sink. The company builds more than 50 boats a year; when you order your RF-246, you’ll start with an $89,900 base price and add to it the price of your power preference. If you choose a modest outboard solution, you could get this boat for around $100,000, which is a great price for a boat that will take you on overnight trips and keep you safe in rough water.

Want to learn more about affordable trawlers? Read Five Affordable Trawlers Under 40 Feet on boats.com.
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

Coolchange, Blue Moon (John and Carol Reynolds) Will be cruising North after the rendezvous, perhaps as far as the Broughtons.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Post by dkircher »

John and Carol,

Looking forward to seeing you at the rendezvous. Right now we are planning to go north after the rendezvous to resume Denise's kayak trip. We may go to Prince Rupert.

There could be others going north. Perhaps we could cruise as a group for part of the trip?
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joreyn »

We would really enjoy that. Great idea.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkircher »

Sorry Cool Change, I just read all the posts. It looks like we already have the start of a group cruise.
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
Gmschuler
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Edmonds

Post by Gmschuler »

Thinking ahead about the rendezvous, my wife, Stephanie, will look into a daytime outing on San Juan Island to the Pelindaba Lavender Farm.

Pelindaba Lavender is a premier grower of lavender plants, distiller of lavender essential oils and
handcrafter of lavender products.

On our beautiful farm on San Juan Island, we undertake these activities in accordance with the highest
environmental and aesthetic standards...

She would like to know if there will be any interest in setting up this adventure. It would be a bus ride to the farm and a couple hours there then back to RH. Other then that there are no details, but she will be happy to get more information if it sounds good to some.

I, on the other hand, am going to be thinking about King Salmon fishing.

Just a few thoughts,
Greg & Stephanie
Greg & Stephanie Schuler
2002 31 TE
Blue Heron
Port of Edmonds
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by coolchange »

anyone who has not visited the farm will be glad they did..it's beautiful, great products and food...and, if classes are going on, very informative.
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joreyn »

I'm pretty sure Carol and I would want to go to the Lavender farm.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

River Girl: Sorry about the delay in responding. Did not look at the fact were have responses on two pages. We do have confirmed slips for the boaters.
Was assuming that anyone calling early to that wonderful hotel would be okay, but looks like that is not the case. I have encouraged a few others in between on boats to call the hotel. There is bus service to Roche Harbor over to Friday which is the largest of the San Juan cities. Would expect you could goggle Friday Harbor for other places to stay. Wonder if the Roche Harbor people could give us more information on the frequency of boat service.
We don't want to loose you over accomdations. I will call Roche and see if they can give us any helpful information. Sorry, about not making some reservations
at the hotel. We just have not had that experience in the past.
If you learn anything else please share the information for others who may be interesed in land stays. MADE A CALL TODAY TO OUR MARINA CONTACT PERSON.
Waiting for call back as to whether they have any back door ways to get a room at Roche. Will be back soon. Was told then next close place is Snug Harbor just about 4 miles from Roche and there is taxi service. Of course if you are driving up that would not be an issue.
Howard
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

ROCHE HARBOR NON BOATER ATTENDEES: Was in touch with our contact person Troy Buck for the Roche Harbor Marina Reservations. Asked if he might be able to find any rooms as the Roche Harbor Resort. He learned that are fully booked.

There are two other suggestions: LONESOME COVE RESORT 476 Lonesome Cove Rd, Friday Harbor, Wa Tel: 360 378 4477. These are Rustic individual cabins and would be closets to Roche.

The next is SNUG HARBOR RESORT 1997 Mitchell Rd Friday Harbor, Wa. Tel. 360 379 4762. They are reportedly about 4 miles by land with taxi service. I cannot confirm the distance or the accommodations. They reportedly have been doing some remodeling.

Those interested may want to Goggle the resorts and likely there are others. These were provided to me by Roche's contact person.

whwells "Howard"
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkircher »

Hello Pacific Northwest Albin Owners,

Although we (Howard and I) have heard from some of you about your plans to attend the rendezvous and I will contact many potential attendees directly by email, I want the entire NW Albin community to be aware of our exciting plans for this year.

Our 2014 Pacific Northwest Albin Owners Rendezvous will be at Roche Harbor Resort from July 11-13, 2014.

Thanks to the efforts of co-coordinator Howard Wells, we have a premier destination marina at one of the best times of the summer!

Besides our traditional breakfast, happy hours, pot luck and group dinner (Howard is also exploring catered dinners), we will have some special activities this year:

1. Pre-rendezvous anchoring at Aleck Bay
Mark Vorobik has invited those who want to arrive a day early to anchor off his family's property on the south end of Lopez Island. The protected anchorage is in Aleck Bay. Shoreside facilities are limited. However, this is a great opportunity. We’ll have a barbeque potluck on shore. Thanks to Mark and Nancy!
2. Lavender Farm Outing
And Stephanie and Greg Schuler are looking into a daytime outing on San Juan Island to the Pelindaba Lavender Farm. Pelindaba Lavender is a premier grower of lavender plants, distiller of lavender essential oils and handcrafter of lavender products. On our beautiful farm on San Juan Island, we undertake these activities in accordance with the highest environmental and aesthetic standards...

Stephanie would like to know if there will be any interest in setting up this adventure. It would be a bus ride to the farm and a couple hours there then back to RH. Other than that there are no details, but she will be happy to get more information if it sounds good to some.

3. Post-rendezvous cruising north
Some of us are planning to take advantage of already being in the San Juans to cruise further north. This may be an opportunity to cruise as a group.

We hope you will join us at Roche Harbor and for the special activities. Please RSVP to either of us right away at:

d2kircher[at]msn.com
howard.wells[at]sbcglobal.net

We will need to confirm attendance to lock in our reservations at Roche Harbor.

Dave Kircher and Howard Wells,
Co- coordinators for the 2014 Rendezvous.
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by coolchange »

Taking a moment to re-confirm plans to join the group for the full duration at RH....still not sure where I will be at the time of the "pre-rendezvous"..but since there is no reserving tight marina space I assume it will be ok to let you know a little later.

I am one of the cruising North afterwards boaters...planning to leave Friday Harbor on the 17th for Vancouver (direct) and staying at False Creek for a few days .. but if weather/currents demand I will head up through the Gulf Islands...making a little bit of a push up to Desolation, having done that part a few times already, and then take my time on up to Braughtons for a week of cruising there.

If the planners could break out an hour or so for all of us planning on going north to gather and discuss it might be useful. At the least we could get our names and contact info on one sheet of paper and pass it out ...and we could discuss "whatever"

If you need someone to take that on I will be happy to...If you need someone to organize a structured "cruise" with an agenda and fixed ports of call...I don't travel that way and maybe someone else would be better.

PS: we changed plans a little and are now launching out of Olympia and wandering up to the SJs...leaving on the 7th.

Thanks to the planners for getting this rolling. :) :)
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Coolchange: Thank you for the response. Dave will be going north so he is the most likely one to work with you on planning the far north trip. I would very much like to go, but it does not look promising for me at that time. May be able to do some of the trip in June.

We have 10-15 spaces reserved at Roche. We each need to call in and confirm your attendance with them directly. Please refer to the Albin owner's group for July11-12th. Use my name as a back up if needed. It will be helpful if you then post to Dave or I that it has been done.

Troy Buck had told me they must have a confirmed name and boat no later than 2 weeks but strongly wants 3 weeks notice. There will otherwise come a time when slips will be released as they fill up all summer weekends. We will be together and hopefully near Barge No. 2 sla they know you are a member of the group.

Look forward to meeting you.

whwells "Howard"

Return to “Fourth Annual Pacific Northwest Rendezvous - 2014”