• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cruising Baltimore

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Cruising Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

We haven't been to the Inner Harbor, by boat, in a few years. Saturday was a good day for cruising so we decided to run into Baltimore. The approach to Patapsco River was it's normal "confused" seas because of all the traffic. 1-3 and all over the place. Once we passed Ft. Carroll and went under the Key Bridge it calmed down enough for the Admiral. From Ft. McHenry it's 6 knots. Saturday wasn't really hot and there was a stiff breeze so it was nice. The development is crazy. Luxury condos built on piers facing the water. They are so new there are only a few sold.
We wanted to tie up and have lunch but I wasn't in the mood for the 30.00 for one hour or so. We cruised around for about an hour then headed out to Pooles Island to anchor and have lunch.
Here are a few pictures of the day...

Ft. Carroll still stands to protect Baltimore from the British.
Baltimore's Third System defense, Fort Carroll was named in 1850 to honor Charles Carroll, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. It is located on a man-made island in the Patapsco River adjacent to the Francis Scott Key Bridge. The construction was once supervised by Robert E. Lee. It is hexagonal and includes three modern coastal batteries. They are Battery Towson (1900 - 1918), Battery Heart (1900 - 1917), and Battery Augustin (1900 - 1920). The single story fort was originnally intended to have four tiers. The fort was abandoned after WWI. The Coast Guard used the fort during World War II. A lighthouse was added in 1854 and rebuilt in 1898. The lighthouse and the fort were abandoned in 1945 and sold in 1958. The fort was originally known as Fort at Soller's Point during its construction. During the Civil War, Fort Carroll had only five gun platforms ready in April 1861, and only two were armed with guns, out of a planned 225 gun emplacements. Privately owned, and with no public access, it is overgrown and deteriorating. The best views are from Fort Armistead and the Key Bridge.

The guard dog died years ago but the sign remains. Notice the cannon nose down in the cement for mooring.

Key Bridge

Ft. McHenry

Great day for a wedding

Cruise ship pier

I think this is the old grain pier

Diesel was 4.09.

Lunch time view at Pooles Island.

Dogs taking a pee break. Can't go on the island. Unexploded shells. (no I never tested it. :) )

John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
skipper
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: none

Post by skipper »

Nice pics and good information about Ft. Carroll. I always wondered about that guard dog.

Return to “Cruising”