• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Marina suggestions

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Marina suggestions

Post by furball »

Sara and I are planning our first week long Chesapeake vacation. We're thinking about the Eastern shore from Kent Narrows to the Choptank and I'm looking for recomendations on dog friendly marinas. Floating docks would be best but not required.
Thanks,
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

John,
Cruising the bay this time of year is great. Traffic is down, slips are easy to find, and the good news is just about every marina is pet friendly. (I haven't found one that isn't) Mears at Kent Island is large and is listed as a "resort marina". I can't speak about floating piers but give them a call to check it out. Further north is Rock Hall. We had the rendezvous at Haven Harbor. Right next door to that is Gratitude. Floating piers there. I was there years ago and the restaurant was very pricey but service and food was excellent. Further north is Fairlee / Great Oaks. Another good spot.
Other northern suggestions would be Whorton Creek - Nice anchorage and another good marina there.
Still Pond - No marina I know of, but it's a beautiful anchorage.
Sassafras River - Another great cruise. Go all the way to the bridge in Georgetown and you will find Sassafras Harbor Marina. Joe Smiths place. Floating piers, former Albin dealer, and a great guy. Next to Joe's place is a very good restaurant. The Grannery. (I think that's what it's named)

South to the Wye would be fellow AOG member Richard. The Wye is a beautiful river to cruise. There is also the Hyatt in Cambridge on the Choptank. You can take the Choptank all the to Denton. That is a nice cruise too.
If you find yourself on the Western shore near Middle River or the Seneca, give me a call.
Of course there is always the Inner Harbor. Plenty to see and do there.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

John, From what I have seen the last few weeks you should not have a problem getting a slip wherever you go. We spent 2 nights this week in St Michaels, and all of the Marinas had open slips. A lot of them. We stayed at the Maritime Museum which requires a membership, but the others had plenty of room. If you head up the Choptank, you can stop in Oxford, and then on up to Cambridge. All of these are dog friendly towns. Just google the towns names and look at the Marinas to see what they have to offer.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

Thanks guys, just found out I have to go out of town on business the week we were looking at for vacation so now it may be the 2nd or 3rd week in October before we go. Sounds like I don't need reservations that time of year and should be able to decide on the fly, so to speak. We've been to Sassafras Harbor, very nice and very friendly. floating docks to boot. John, I think I'll try your suggestion on Fairlee Creek and them see what we find up the Chester. St Micheals may be our last stop for the week but I hate to plan that far ahead. I think I'll save the Choptank for the next run. John, perhaps we can get together around Hart-Miller one day soon. Any ideas on rescheduling last weekends get-together?
Thanks again,
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

furball wrote: John, perhaps we can get together around Hart-Miller one day soon. Any ideas on rescheduling last weekends get-together?
Thanks again,
John
I was there yesterday. Perfect day. (see my post in the meet and greet forum)

Hart-Miller? Sure. But consider Sue Creek. Just inside Middle River from Hart-Miller. Very calm.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “Cruising”