• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New member - Long Island Sound

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Grendel
Swabby
Swabby

New member - Long Island Sound

Post by Grendel »

Hello, all... I'm a new member to the forums. My folks are enjoying their first full season on thier 40' North Sea Cutter, and while the boat is theirs, I've enjoyed boating my whole life and am excited about introducing boating to my family of 3 little girls (ages 5, 3, and 1 respectively) aboard this beautiful vessel.

We recently spent a perfect (but brief) Labor Day cruise between Branford and Guilford, CT and the girls had a blast. I shadowed them as they walked about exploring every inch of the boat, waddling around in their sternsman's vests, learning their sea legs, and generally having a blast.

The 40 Cutter seems very stout to me - granted the conditions were flat as a millpond, but I've no question that this hull would take a real pounding, shrugging off considerable sea conditons with relative ease. Lovely finish work aside, there's no hiding the fact that the hull was initially designed as a search and rescue platform for the Canadian coast guard. Cruising at 10 knots she is very quiet, and she pounces to a stately 18 in almost no time flat. Apart from the the fact that she rides quite steep initially, once trimmed out, the bow came down nicely and I had no concerns about letting my little ones continue to walk every inch of her.

Despite the sound hull design, there are some things I found troubling - a lack of a grab rail along the cabinhouse above the salon entries for one. Given the narrow walkways along the cabinhouse, these would have been a welcome addition, especially when loading and offloading gear. The air horns mounted on the cabinhouse are of poor quality; certainly they shouldn't show extensive corrosion after only 2 years. But, the boat was a demonstration boat Albin used at shows prior to purchase, with some 1000 hours on the engines, and in light of the companies' financial troubles, it's not too surprising that this and numerous other things were not attended to prior to the sale of the boat to my folks.

That being said, the old man is a true salt, and has shaken out most of the minor cosmetic and some not so minor mechanical and electrical problems, and Morning's Light is nearly ready for the kind of lengthy cruising I'm certain they'll use her for. I look forward to sharing some of these cruises with my family and in turn with this community.

Fun and safe boating to all! :D

P.S.:
if you'd like a glance at "Morning's Ligt", RobS took some nice snapshots of her when my folks had her short hauled at Essex Island Marina for some *ulp* LEAKAGE problems. See the shots here:

http://albinowners.net/aog/viewtopic.ph ... and+marina
Geoff Fleming
Deck Ape
Morning's Light
40' Albin North Sea Cutter
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Welcome to the group. Great looking boat.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Grendel,
Nice introduction, many hours of quality family time sure to come. Hopefully you will be attending the AOG Rendezvous in Essex in July aboard Mornings Light? Your folks plan on attending:
viewtopic.php?t=1973
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “New Member Introductions”