• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 35 Command Bridge

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
ohpp
Swabby
Swabby

Albin 35 Command Bridge

Post by ohpp »

I am currently negotiating to buy a Command Bridge 35. I would appreciate any suggestions about areas of concern. My wife and I are retired and want to live aboard for the summer and hopefully someday in the next few years do the Loop. Next summer we plan to spend on the Chesapeake and the next along the coast of Maine.
Oliver Pepper
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

As the owner of a 32, (same cabin space, smaller cockpit), you have a decent boat for extended cruising. It has the range & water capacity of some of the smaller trawlers. Keep your hand off the throttle & you will have near the same fuel economy of the small trawler too.

The boat does not have any real vices other than tight access around the engine. One of the best things about the design is the ease of getting from bridge to foredeck. 2 steps down & up the very wide sidedecks with no need to cling onto handholds.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I'm not sure I would want a boat with such limited visibility out of the cabin for a liveaboard. Seems like it would be claustrophobic.

On the other hand, you have lots of privacy.
ohpp
Swabby
Swabby

Post by ohpp »

My wife and I are used to sail boats and being below so the view is not an issue. We are also used to living in a two person tent for weeks at a time so I am hopeful that 35 feet will seem large. I am mostly concerned with refrigeration and fuel economy.

Thanks
Oliver Pepper
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Veebyes2 »

The visibility out of the cabin of a 32 is a whole lot better than a sailboat, waaay better than a 'tennis shoe' boat. The cabin is only 2 steps down from the cockpit. Galley is right next to cockpit door so the galley slave is not removed from what is going on outside. The whole cabin is one level. No further steps down as you go fwd like so many other boats.

One of the greatest assets is the water view from the fwd berth. Leave the transom door open & you can see the water without lifting your head from the pillow. How many boats give you THAT?

No need to get up & check the anchor in the middle of the night. Just open one eye.

Overall, a wonderful boat. Have not seen anything else, same length, I'd prefer to have.

Forgot to add. The boat has 2 12V small fridges. Virtually useless as far as I am concerned. We rarely use them. Best I have seen is a chest type fridge installed in the same location.

The boat this in is a 1997 32+2, located in the upper Chesapeake & is FOR SALE. PM me if interested.

Almost forgot, I average about 3gph for fuel. I rarely run the boat at speed for any length of time. Often I am towing a 14' skiff. We also have a 6kw genny which is rarely used.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

The boat this in is a 1997 32+2, located in the upper Chesapeake & is FOR SALE. PM me if interested
Your making me drool like one of my dogs waiting for a treat! 8)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

lol,, drooling, now ya talkin
ohpp
Swabby
Swabby

Post by ohpp »

What is the headroom below on the 35 command bridge?

Thanks
Oliver Pepper
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Veebyes2 »

Headroom is over 6' in fwd cabin. After part of the cabin must be close to 7'. It is a little bit of a stretch to reach lights. Many people remark on how roomy the boat is inside. I call it a mans boat on the outside, womans boat on the inside given all the galley counter room, enclosed shower etc.

You can look at it as a cruising boat that you can take fishing every once in a while.

Ours is one of the last, early 1996, (bolt on swim platform) before the 32+2 (hull extended beneath the platform) was created. The 35 is a 32+2 that has the transom pushed back over the platform.

Next comes the 35+2

Anything else?

1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Return to “New Member Introductions”