• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Appreciate some assistance>>>

BobR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Appreciate some assistance>>>

Post by BobR »

I am a novice boater living in Southern Maine. I am moving up from an Eastern 22 to an 88 Albin 36. My offer was accepted on the boat and the survey is coming up this Saturday. I set up an escrow that will be released following success of a sea trail this spring. Any thoughts on key issues I should look at with my surveyor this coming weekend. I did notice water stains above a couple windows inside and I was told this was all repaired and it is now cosmetic.
I am hoping (and requested) the owner be present for the survey. The boat is indoors.
Thanks
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Leaky windows is a common topic on almost all bridge boats from that era. The important thing to me would be how the owner repaired it.
Going from 2-3 thousand pounds to 18k will be a huge difference let alone going from outboard to inboard power.

You won't be a novice very long. 8) Welcome to the group. Keep us updated with pictures of your new boat.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
okelley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by okelley »

Bob R: Check out this link. I happened to run across it, have had not personal experience, but you may be able to do a better survey if you have some details in mind. Good luck!

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/Windows.htm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

With regard to that article, I suggest also reading the ongoing thread we have on here that references it.

viewtopic.php?t=2082
J. E. Hartwell
Deckhand
Deckhand

Albin 36

Post by J. E. Hartwell »

We have an Albin 40, which we had extensively surveyed, by both a competent marine surveyor and a diesel engine mechanic.

Any and all problems discovered had their full cost deducted from the original-offering deposit.

Just determine how much you are willing to do yourself, what will have to be done by competent contractor; and estimate your financial pain threshhold.

Good luck, we love our Albin.
BobR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BobR »

Thanks everyone for your advice. This is very helpful information. I am hoping all goes smooth this coming Saturday.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Well...how did it go?
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
BobR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BobR »

I had the broker, the owner, the surveyor and my wife on the boat most of Saturday (indoor storage in Maine). My surveyor kept things close to the vest and is going to send me a prelim within the next day or so. He mentioned that for a 1988 trawler it was in above average condition. He did closely look at the water stains around the windows and confirmed there was not moisture present. He also reiterated, like many have done, that this was a common theme with the trawlers. I may have to spend some money to improve the appearance of this.
I personally went through all the AC/DC functions as well as confirmed that the electronics were operable. Stove/oven, refrig, outlets, etc all working properly. Alot of time was spent in the bilge area and engine room. We have a clause in our contract to replace the hoses to the water tank. This is to remidiate a slight odor on the boat. However my surveyor feels the bilge just needs to be cleaned. The current owner was ill when the boat was hauled and winterized. Never had a chance to do a cleaning.
At this point in time, with a good report, I will move forward and hopefully have the boat in time for the Nov 8 &9 weekend to clean it, etc. More importantly just being around it and think about future. We still have an escrow account set up for the sea trial to take place early in the spring. However, the Ford Lehman 135 did look practically new with 1600 hrs.
The timing could not be better for getting this boat. Turning 50 this year as well as the kids out of college allow this move to take me to another stage in life.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Sounds good so far.
You can "shock" the water system with some bleach and that "should" take care of the odors and sanitize the system.
Before you do the sea trial, call Bob Smith at American Diesel Corp. http://www.americandieselcorp.com/ (804) 435-3107 He is the formost expert on Ford Lehman engines and can give you exact details of what to look for and check on that engine. They are also the best source for parts. They ship same day, overnight if needed.
Those are supposedly 10,000 + hour engines so it has plenty of life left.
(My FL120 has 3700+ hours and runs perfectly)
There also might be upgrades/updates to that engine and the ADC folks will help you out there as well. (some to solve problems, some to replace obsoleted parts)
Funny, I also bought my 40 Albin in November (05) and it was in Rochester, NY and too late to run it to Ct. So we made many trips that fall, winter and spring to winterize and work on it to get it ready for the trip to Mystic. 4 1/2 hours each way. Boy do we do stupid things for boating!!
:lol:
Hopefully you are not that far away.

By the way you should consider joining the MTOA http://www.mtoa.net/
That organization is a lot more active (but not as much fun) than this group for old trawlers and they have some nice rendezvous.
If you decide to join please contact me and use my member number (I get kudos from MTOA for this).

Anyway, best of luck and if you have questions just ask.
Jay
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Vic T
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Post by Vic T »

The MTOA is a good link. Thanks for suggesting. I purchased my 87 albin 36 last December and am just learning what's important and learning from others in this group. Winterizing was our first major event this year with a lot of great details that have been posted.

Vic
1987 Albin 36
Contrails
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

I am glad there are a few more on this thread keeping it active. I'd like to see more activity.
Heck...we have old boats we should have lots of issues to discuss!!
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
BobR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Appreciate some assistance>>>

Post by BobR »

Thought you would be interested in my new boat. Very happy owner. Can't wait until this spring.
Quick question.... it's been dry dock for about 3 months. Strong odor in cabin. I went down and cleaned out the bilges. Had head hoses replaced.
Is there anything else I can do before it goes into the water to eliminate the odor?
thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

I use a liquid enzyme product called Natures Miracle or Petastic (same product pet store stuff) eats up that moldy smell and any organic wastes. Spread a quart down in the bilge and for cleaning carpet and mats.. I also use it for stains. I picked up the Albin 31 last week & previous owner used several packs of moisture absorbing crystal like packs, actually keeps cabin smelly really good (get them in walgreens or any hardware store. Leave a few in over the winter that should help.. Good luck & Happy Thanksgiving
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Nice looking vessel...congrats!
I had an odor also when I first got my 40. I scrubbed the bilge, then vacuumed the standing water and dried it out. Got most of the smeel. Then one spring I degreased and gelcoated the area where the water stands in the bilge. That cured the problem completely. Paint would also work...I was doing some bottom work so I have the gelcoat and tools handy otherwise I would have painted.
Also make sure the shower sump and plumbing is clean.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “36/37/40/43”