• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Spring Launch

BobR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Spring Launch

Post by BobR »

My 88 36' Trawler is indoors up in the mid-coast of Maine. Before bringing it south in June to my marina (bout 100 miles away) I, with the help of my son, will plan on bottom painting as well as application of a good wax on the hull. I have a single Ford Lehman diesel. Generally speaking, as part of the launch process, does the yard take care of draining and filling the tanks, opening seacocks, etc. Is there any references I can look at on line that details exactly what takes place with the launch process?
This is my first year with this boat and I want to make sure I do things right and have the yard perform duties that are necassary.
Thanks
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Spring Launch

Post by jleonard »

Exactly what "the yard" will do depends on the boatyard. No 2 are the same....rarely even close.
Better off asking them to be specific as to what they plan on doing. Then if you are in doubt and think additional items should be attended to you can ask us for opinions.
I know the yard I winter in they will only launch the boat if 4 fenders are in place hanging down and lines are in place ready to tie off to the launch well and dock. They ask me if the engine is ready to start ... meaning that the battery is charged, fuel is turned on, battery is ready to go, seacock open. Normally they don't ryn the boat but if necessary they want to know. Past that anything I need them to do is an extra charge and negotiable. (I've never asked them to do anything)
I like to launch with empty water tanks and of course my holding tank is empty upon haulout. Fuel is where I leave it when I'm hauled, usually somewhere between about 5/8 and 7/8.
What tanks are you referring to?
I would think you would want to open the seacocks yourself, not only to get familiar with where they are located and how they work, but to know yourself whether they are open or closed..leave nothing to chance.

IMPORTANT AFTERTHOUGHT: If you have not witnessed the yard hauling/launching your boat you want to try to be there. The bow flare on these models is very large and requires unusuall blocking out of the straps. If not the deck will get crushed as the straps go to hang parallel. I don't know how else to explain it. I had took pics of mine being handled by the old yard where I bought the boat (Rochester, NY). When I contracted to haul in CT I showed them the pics and explained so they could do the same. You will want to see how it is done, trust me.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
BobR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Spring Launch

Post by BobR »

Thanks this is very helpful. I am planning out getting together with the yard manager and discuss in detail his and my role in the commissioning. I think this year, because this is all new to me, I may be coming out of pocket a little more than initially anticipated.
Thanks for the heads up on the actual launching. I am planning on being there during the complete process.

Return to “36/37/40/43”