• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Update on my salt water wash down problem

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Update on my salt water wash down problem

Post by jcollins »

Had a low tide on Sunday. Couldn't get out so I tackled the wash down issue. It didn't take long to figure out the hose was disconnected. I just pulled it from the pump side and it came right out. It took my wife and I over an hour to GENTLY get the plastic housing out. I didn't want to scratch the gelcoat or break the plastic. We started with a razor blade, then small flexible putty knive. (new, very sharp) then a 3" stiff putty knife. There was so much adhesive around it! Probably the 3M 5200 or something like it. Finally got it out, replaced the hose and I'm back in business. Total time: 3 hrs. counting one trip to the hardware store and another to West Marine for the hose. But, no scratches or breaks.

Next fixit..live well pump isn't working.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Hi John,

Didn't you just get this boat new in December? Why don't you just have the dealer resolve it?

Cheers!

Brian
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Elizabeth Ann wrote:Hi John,

Didn't you just get this boat new in December? Why don't you just have the dealer resolve it?

Cheers!

Brian
Hi Brian,
Correction: NEW to me! It's a 1995. Perfect condition except for some minor issues. Salt water wash down. Next project: The live well pump isn't working. I'm going to trace that problem down. Could be switch, wireing, or the pump itself. The only other thing that failed inspection was a ground wire.
John
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Oh. OK. I misunderstood. And with the pics and all I thought she was fresh out of the mold. How's the colored hull? While my father and I were looking almost all the hulls were faded (or recently repainted, was your awlgriped?) We were told that the one thing Albin never got right was their hull colors.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Your right. This is a black hull. From what I have been told there were only a few. The previous owner was NOT into detailing and the paint shows it. This spring I used a light compound that worked well. Then a friend of mine offered to put on the second coat of wax. I wasn't there when he did it. He waxed the whole boat and then tried to buff. It did not work well at all. I was anxious to get the boat in the water so I let it go.
Next season I'll put more work into it. But, I can see a new paint job in my future. Probably a couple of years from now.
I had a black hull on my last boat. I repainted with Awlgrip and it was beautiful. The boat was a 1987 but looked brand new. I painted it in 2001. When I sold it (2005), it looked just as fresh.
John

Return to “Albin Maintenance”