• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 36, St Croix Davits

taylorjf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Albin 36, St Croix Davits

Post by taylorjf »

I'm purchasing an Albin 36 classic in WI. I want to fit it with St Croix removeable davits aft. Not sure whether the horizontal teak trim will need to be reinforced to support the davits and inflatable/motor. Any advice?

Joe
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Albin 36, St Croix Davits

Post by jleonard »

I have davits that were installed by the previous owner. They are mounted thru the deck with 4 bolts each and have significant backing plates. In my opinion they are marginal. If you send me an e mail jleonard@usa.norgren.com I can reply with some pic so you can see what I am talking about. Dink is a 9 ft with an 8 hp Evinrude...really a light weight rig.

If I understand that you want to mount them to the teak toe rail....they will snap that toerail like nothing.

If I were to do it again...and I may redo mine...I would mount beefy stainless gussetted angle brackets to the transom and thru bolt the brackets with the largest backing plates I could fit. Then mount the davits to the brackets.

Hope this helps.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
taylorjf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by taylorjf »

Thanks Jay, I agree. Looking at it again the St Croix's won't work. I'm now thinking of Weaver snap on davit/roll-up system.

Joe
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

One HUGE improvement you mat want to consider. It is someting I did the first year I owned thos boat and that is make the swim platform lomger. All these old trawlers have platforms so short you can't comfortable stand on them without holding on. I bought another teak platform that a boater removed to replace with fiberglass. It was made the same way out of teak strips screwed and glued together. I simply added the strips one by one on the boat side of the platform. I added 8 inches, now it's long enough to comfortably stand on.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “36/37/40/43”