• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Member, "Old" Owner

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
MikeF
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Chicago

New Member, "Old" Owner

Post by MikeF »

Hi All,

This site has a really appealing clean, fresh look about it - congratulations!

I have owned and loved my 1978 Albin 25 "Hornbay" for almost 6 years now. The boat is currently in Clear Lake, Houston though I live in the Dallas area. Will post a pic or two in due course, as I've done quite a few exterior modifications which may be of interest.

I am particularly interested in hearing from other A25 owners who have re-powered. I have the original Volvo MD17C which starts right up every time and still runs pretty well, but I'm planning a few longer excursions and feel that I'd be better served by a newer engine. I am currently considering the Yanmar 3YM30, but am open to all suggestions. I am particularly curious as to how such a swap would work out in terms of lining up with the shaft and fitting into the existing area and engine cover.

Cheers,

Mike, A25 "Hornbay"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: New Member, "Old" Owner

Post by jcollins »

Welcome to AOG Mike! Old owners are always welcome. The list of A25 and A27 owners is growing. I am always interested in checking out photos of other boats and projects.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Before deciding on a motor check out the Steyr diesels http://www.steyr-motors.com/products/products.htm They are lighter and quieter than other diesels and built to military specs to last 20,000 hours. They have an optional generator that inserts between the motor and the transmission adding only 30 mm to the length of the unit. I like Cummins but if I had to repower I would seriously consider the Steyr.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

My next door marina neighbor with a Albin 27 has a Steyr. It runs good but he said repair and parts resources are pretty limited. That's in Ct. Something to think about as well.
built to military specs to last 20,000 hours.
If I am not mistaken that is/was also Cummins' claim. :wink: I'll have to check my old literature.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “New Member Introductions”