• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Help!!!

seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Help!!!

Post by seblyte »

I wonder if there is anyone out there that can help me? I need to sail my Classic 36 from Marlboro NY to RI NY as I'm taking her back to the UK and need to meet the transport ship, as this is a water to water delivery. I hope to set off on the 20th and would really appreciate some company on this voyage.

I think the trip will take around 3 days, weather permitting. If anyone is interested I'd be mighty grateful.

Sebastian
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Help!!!

Post by jleonard »

Wish I could make the trip but no time. But I will offer some comments.
I have been on that route when I took my 40 from Rochester, NY to Mystic, Ct. Yes 3 days is enough to make that trip provided you don't have any of the "new owner gremlins" that like to show themselves on maiden voyages.

Day 1 should get you to Manhassett Bay which is just beyond Hell Gate and the Trogs Neck Bridge. There is a good anchorage area there, or dockage if you prefer that.
Day 2 will get you to Mystic, Ct, or Stonington, but you won't have enough daylight to make Rhode Island (which I assume you mean Naragansett Bay)
Day 3 will get you to RI...assuming the weather window allows that.

Does the boat have a working radar ? Please say yes as you may need it in my neck of the woods.

Also stock the boat with a case of Racor filter elements and a spare set for the engine (assume it's a Ford-Lehman 120?)
You can get anything you need for spares and upgrades thru American Diesel Corp for those engines..if you are not already aware of that.

Contact me if you wish privately at leonaj99@yahoo.com or jleonard@kipinc.com I can at least offer some consultation if you need it for your trip for local navigational knowledge, talk thru mechanical troubles, etc. Whatever it takes
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Post by seblyte »

I am immensely grateful for your help. My main concern is navigation. I will get charts and I have a handheld GPS. I also have a Raymarine chartplotter which is ready to go into the boat but I am reluctant to buy a USA chip for just the one trip. The boat has radar but until I get out there I won't know whether this works.

I think that if I'm on my own I'll just go to dockage each night and I'll give myself double the needed time. Does the ICW run up to RI?

What I really need is a passage plan. I would be so grateful for your advice on this.

My experience of USA sailing has been that the waterways are usually quite busy and my experience of costal navigation has been the West Coast of Florida from St Petersburg to Key West and across to Cuba and back which was very easy. I believe the East Coast is a lot more challenging.

Any help with the passage plan would be the best help you could give me.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

There are quite a few details missing from your post that most crew would probably want answers to before signing on to such a trip.
What is your (presumably the new owner) experience on boats of this size and general design (trawlers)?
What condition is the boat in?
Has it been surveyed?
Do you have a link to a listing on the boat, ie how did you find it to make the purchase?
What kind of electronic safety/navigation equipment is installed and working?
Does it have all Coast Guard required safety equipment aboard and in working condition?
When (what date) are you taking possesion of the vessel?
Are you planning a shakedown cruise to become familiar with the systems and check general operating condition?
How much "safety" time have you built in for bad weather and breakdowns?
When you say "the 20th", the 20th of which month?
Are you providing food costs and transportation costs to get to or return to NY (this is traditional with volunteer crew)?
I assume you are meeting the transport boat in Newport RI, that is where it ususally picks up for trans-atlantic shipping. I am from the Newport area (Wickford, RI) and intimately familiar with the water on the second and 3d day of your trip. I may be available to make those two legs with you.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

First, no, the ICW does NOT run to RI.
But you are in protected waters for the vast majority of the trip.
The Hudson River is so easy to navigate you will have no trouble at all. Fog should not be a problem there.
In light of the latest info, then I would suggest perhaps a short day to start with, stopping at either Haverstraw Bay to anchor (E side of the river) OR Haverstraw Marina (W side of the river).
The first "obstacle" will be waiting for the Sputen Dyvil RR bridge to get into the Harlem River. That is assuming you go that way..it is much shorter than going around Manhattan, which you could do but it will add a couple of hours (or more) to your trip. The Harlem is easy, no problem there. Turning into the East River (Hell Gate) may be challenging if there's traffic and a heavy current but you'll have enough power to manage that. I never bother to time the Hell Gate passage as many say is necessary. I've been thru on many occasions and although challenging it is not dangerous.
Then I would continue up the East River into Long Island Sound. Stop at either Manhassett Bay as I mentioned, or continue on to either Oyster Bay OR Port Jefferson. You can anchor or dock at either harbor, your choice.
Next day is a long run up LI Sound. If winds are out of the south us Long Island for protection. If out of the North, use the CT shoreline for protection but you'll need to stay offshore from CT in many places as it is rocky....but adequately marked.
If from the East...wait a day.
Again I would choose Stonington, Mystic, or maybe West Harbor on Fisher's Island as a stopoff point.
Next day to Naragansett Bay. That is the unprotected leg of the trip. Early morning is normally the calmest around here, but then you may have to contend with the fog.
Use Watch Hill Passage to get out of Fisher's Island Sound as that is the widest and most friendly.

Once you get into Long Island Sound you will have to be on the lookout for lobster pot buoys.

I don't know what else to tell you unless you ask specific questions. Like I said I am familiar with the route and the area and have done it in a slow trawler.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Post by seblyte »

Hi Ric,

Thank you very much for your email and I have answered all your points in order.

There are quite a few details missing from your post that most crew would probably want answers to before signing on to such a trip.
SL Answer. Agreed

What is your (presumably the new owner) experience on boats of this size and general design (trawlers)?
SL Answer. I am an Ocean Yachtmaster (RYA) and have sailed boats all my life. My last trawler was a President 41.

What condition is the boat in?
SL Answer. I am told by the yard she can be made seaworthy fairly easily. They know this boat of old. She has been standing for 2 years on the hard and I'm going over a week in advance (12th) to commission her. They have started work replacing a bad fuel line and fitting new batteries.

Has it been surveyed?
SL Answer. No. I am getting her surveyed in the UK as she will MCA PT1 registered and needs a UK surveyor.

Do you have a link to a listing on the boat, ie how did you find it to make the purchase?
SL Answer. I can send you pics.

What kind of electronic safety/navigation equipment is installed and working?
SL Answer. She has radar and I am taking GPS put with me. There will 2 working radios on board.

Does it have all Coast Guard required safety equipment aboard and in working condition?
SL Answer. She will before the trip.

When (what date) are you taking possesion of the vessel?
SL Answer. I bought her last year.

Are you planning a shakedown cruise to become familiar with the systems and check general operating condition?
SL Answer. DEFINATELY! Several!

How much "safety" time have you built in for bad weather and breakdowns?
SL Answer. 3 days.

When you say "the 20th", the 20th of which month?
SL Answer. This month.

Are you providing food costs and transportation costs to get to or return to NY (this is traditional with volunteer crew)?
SL Answer. Yes.

I assume you are meeting the transport boat in Newport RI, that is where it ususally picks up for trans-atlantic shipping. I am from the Newport area (Wickford, RI) and intimately familiar with the water on the second and 3d day of your trip. I may be available to make those two legs with you

SL Answer. I would be incredibily grateful. You have no idea. I want to enjoy this but like most in unfamiliar waters it is much better to go with an expert.

I do hope you will be available.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Sebastian,
I pretty sure I have Hudson River charts and if you need to borrow them say the word.
We'll have to figure out the logistics.
Jay
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Post by seblyte »

Jay, that would be awsome! Thank you. I'll email my contact details and perhaps I can give you a ring to chat? I am really grateful for your interest and your support.

Look forward chatting. Sebastian
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

I can give you a ring to chat?
860-676-3744 7am to 4pm eastern daylight time
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment