• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

6 cylinder nissan diesel

Albin's "power cruisers"
Jeff Lavallee
Gold Member
Gold Member

6 cylinder nissan diesel

Post by Jeff Lavallee »

I have just recently bought a 1985 Albin 27 AC Family Cruiser. I was unable to determine the engine hours befor I bought it, but had it serveyed and took it for a Sea Trial. Everything checked out well. I guess my question is what is your opinion of this engine?? I believe it is a 78 horse. What should I expect for speed- not considering wind or current. I am hoping for 12kts?? I hope to learn alot from this group before boating season. I may not be that helpful to other members yet, as this is my first boat.
Jeff Newbury, Ma
pmacken
Mate
Mate

Re: 6 cylinder nissan diesel

Post by pmacken »

Jeff,

Nice little engine. I find it's best performance is in the 2,800 to 3,200 rpm range. Any black smoke you see will disappear and it will purr. I found that running at lower than 2,500 tends to load mine up a bit and thus the black smoke. Using a 19" dia X 18 pitch prop might be one reason, but it gives me 9 kts or even better if running with the tide/current. She is a noisy little beast, but runs well and will start real easy, even after sitting for several months

Phil Macken
1986 27AC "MATES"
Stuart, FL.
1986 AC27 Nissan
Fortunate
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Robinhood Marina, Georgetown, ME

Post by Fortunate »

I am running a Lehman 4D61 in my 27AC. 12 knots is a little optimistic for normal cruising. You might be able to get it there, but it won't be pretty. Typical cruising is in the 7-8 knot range. These are not fast boats, but reliable, fuel efficient and comfortable. Good luck and welcome.
Kim Suhr
"Fortunate"
27 Family Cruiser
Robinhood Cove, Georgetown, ME
rt11002003
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rt11002003 »

The A27AC that we owned had the Yanmar engine; it produced about the same HP as your engine. The highest speed we ever saw was slightly more than 10 knots (GPS). It was attained by surfing down a large wave created by a tug with a tow on the Tennessee River. Those vessels aren't fast, but who cares. They'll get one where one is going and do it using very little fuel and in comfort. :D

Gene
Gene Currently Albin "less"
pmacken
Mate
Mate

Post by pmacken »

Jeff,

I believe you asked about pencil zinc location on the LD 28M in a message forwarded to the yahoo group. I am traveling up north this summer and not near the manuals I have for the engine. Maby someone can answer the question for you here on this forum.

Regards
Phil Macken
1986 AC27 Nissan

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”