• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cape Cod Bay Cruise

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cape Cod Bay Cruise

Post by RicM »

Miss K and I have just finished a 6 day cruise of Cape Cod Bay, dodging Danny and generally having a great time. We started with the longest leg, Wickford to Cataumet MA, about 59 NM, on Monday. We took the longer route up around Aquidneck Island and down the Sakonnet River to avoid the remains of Hurricane Bill in the open water of RI Sound. We stayed the first night at Kingman's Marina at the West end of the Canal and enjoyed the lobster roll and mudslides at The Chart Room with my cousin Ron from Cotuit. Although it WAS a Monday, there was a marked difference in the management style from a year ago. Last year we had dock hands swarming the lines, a welcome package with literature in a cloth dock bag etc. This year we were given a slip number and no one even cared enough to sign us in (they already had my credit card #). Tuesday we had a short run to Barnstable for a night at the Barnstable (town) Marina. It was such a gorgeous day we took a side trip up to Fishing Ledge to look for small tuna that was reported to be all over the Bay. Turns out they disappeared a week earlier. We had a beautiful FAC day so we shut off the engine, threw a cushion into the glassy water and swam, showered, snorkled (the zincs look good) in the gin clear water. Barnstable Harbor is tricky to get into, but just spectacular and worth the long low speed run. Not a lot of "action" in Barnstable, but a great meal at Mattakkeese Wharf. Comfy little harbor and a great hurricane hole. Wednesday through Friday we were booked at the Provincetown Marina, hoping to fit in a trip to Stellwagen Bank were the tuna were still frolicking with whales. At this stage Danny Mania started. Maybe it's the culture, maybe it's in the water, but I never saw a bunch of people so freaked out about the weather! The management canceled all reservations for the weekend at a cost of at least $15,000 in fees. The docks were half empty by end of day Thursday, and they were throwing people out starting Friday and were pulling the docks in on Saturday. Of course, it was all for naught. We had Saturday night booked at the Point Independence Yacht Club in Onset and we called them and they would let us add Friday to the front end of that stay to shelter there. PIYC was the find of the trip. $80 night, Friday night Fish Fry in the clubhouse (Fried Lobster was the specialty of the night!) great bar ($4 cocktails!) and great friendly people. Sunday morning we left early (7:20AM) for the run down Buzzards Bay for home. BB was also FAC, very different from our last trip. Reaching open water in RI Sound however, we encountered the remains of Danny, 5-7 foot swells on the forward port quarter. Fortunately we eased into it gradually, but at one point I did realize that when in the trough I could not see the horizon while standing in the pilot house, just the top of the next swell (Miss K slept through it all). A little freaky, but Time after Time handled it so beautifully I didn't have time to get nervous about it. I was a little nervous about making the turn at Sakonnet Point, a notoriusly mixed up piece of water, but once again, the Albin 28 rode the swells beautifully, even right on the stern. Last stop, The Boat House restaurant in Tiverton RI for a great brunch. Narragansett Bay was like a lake and once again, the sun came back out as we tied up in our own slip again after 225 NM. A great trip with a great first mate and a great boat.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Cape Cod Bay Cruise

Post by jcollins »

A great trip with a great first mate and a great boat.
Sounds like a great trip. Took me awhile to figure out FAC, but I think I've got it. That 's one to remember for my log book.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cape Cod Bay Cruise

Post by RicM »

Why Flat A$$ Calm! I thought everyone knew that.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI

Return to “Cruising”