• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Autopilot

sloopjah
Swabby
Swabby

Autopilot

Post by sloopjah »

Hi, I have an Albin 36 Trawler with hydrolic sterring. Could anyone here recomend an autopilot make and model?
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I have narrowed my choices to a Furuno (model 511 I think it was) and a Sitex sp70.
I'll install over the winter.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Auto Pilot

Post by RicM »

I have the Furuno 510 and I love it. Installed it myself last winter. A little daunting at first when you open the box and lay it out, but once you have one you will never want to be without again.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Yea I know...I installed one on my previous boat, an old 34 Mainship...best thing I ever added to a boat for sure.

One could argue that "Abe" is the proper nickname for the autopilot.
After all Abe freed the slaves.
:wink:
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Autopilot

Post by Despacio »

Those old Benmar Course Setter 21 autopilots that most of us already have work very well, and the company is still in business and supports their product. If you have a problem with it, you ship it to them and the charge is $200 or less.

http://www.benmarmarine.com/

The lack of flashing lights fails to excite most people today. I have a neighbor who thinks I'm crazy to not upgrade to a new one when I had problems with my old pilot. Today, after sending it in, it works perfectly and was significantly cheaper than buying anything else, and is ready for another 30 years of dependable service.

Used Course Setter 21's can be found at marine parts places. I'd buy one used, send it in for a check before installing it. Then admire the thousands of dollars it didn't cost.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Auto Pilot

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:I have the Furuno 510 and I love it. Installed it myself last winter. A little daunting at first when you open the box and lay it out, but once you have one you will never want to be without again.
Ric's unit is the NavPilot 511 (not 510). I also have the 511 and installed mine last winter and could not be happier. A bit of work but rather straight forward and high quality components for sure. Furuno's tech line is helpful if (when) needed.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Autopilot

Post by RicM »

I stand corrected. What ever number it is, it has proved to be a great unit for my uses. You cannot trust any auto pilot with your life however. I did have it get scrambled once and show the heading 180 degrees off. I think it may have been the sensor. The started turning around to follow the leg backward! I turned everything off then back on and it was fine after that. These GPS units run on Windows after all (how many of you knew that?).
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI

Return to “36/37/40/43”