• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cruising - Wye River

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Cruising - Wye River

Post by jcollins »

So far my cruising has been, well, sucky. When the weather was good I was working. When I had time the weather wasn't good. :?
Last weekend we had gale winds and no one went out. So, with good weather predicted this coming weekend, the plan is to head out Satuday morning and get some quality time in. For two years I've been talking about a cruise to the Wye river so that's my destination. I don't think the Admiral will make it this trip as she has been talking about an auction to go to.

If anyone is out and about I'll be monitoring 9/16.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Cruising - 05/15

Post by jleonard »

I love the Wye River area.Enjoy!!
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium

Re: Cruising - Wye River

Post by jcollins »

I called my brother-in-law Friday to confirm he was going. His reply was "yes, but have you checked the marine forecast"? No, I hadn't. The TV/radio had predicted a sunny warm day. But they did leave out the part about small craft warnings. I told him to meet me at the boat anyway and we'll make a final decision then.
Saturday morning it was at little breezy where I live. When I got to the marina it was gusting to 25. We decided to go anyway and left at 10:00.
The south-east run across the Bay and into the Chester river was rough, with the wind from the north-west, but the Albin did it's job and shrugged off the waves with no problem. The auto pilot is probably the best toy I ever installed. It tracked straight and true. Much better than I would have. As we made the turn into Kent Narrows things had calmed down and the ride was perfect.
I am not a frequent visitor of Kent Narrows so I kept a close eye on the GPS as we entered. No problems at all. Plenty of depth and because of the forecast almost no traffic. This place has plenty of restaurants, bars, and marinas. Very nice place to stop and have lunch but since we already had a destination in mind we kept going. As we were leaving the Narrows we passed "Bluey". A TE 28 (blue hull of course) with a few folks onboard gave us a wave as we passed. I noticed that Bluey just joined AOG.
We left the Narrows for the run down Prospect Bay then into Eastern Bay. We passed several sailboats taking advantage of the wind but this was nothing like our earlier bay crossing. With Bennet Point to port I made a wide U-turn into the Wye river and proceeded north. The Wye is a beautiful winding river with great scenery. Our destination was the home of Dick Radlinski, former TE 28 owner (Wye Dream), and now the owner of a very nice American Tug. (Wye Tug) Dick's pier is about 7 miles up river, across from Pintail Point. http://www.theriverplantation.com
Dick wasn't home when we first got there so Mark and I had lunch and let the dog off the boat to stretch his legs. Dick came home shortly thereafter and we had a beer, checked out his home and his boat. A couple of hours went by and it was time to leave.
The trip home was not without incident as we got hung up on a sand bar near green "1" at the mouth of the Wye. No damage. It took several minutes to get free and we made our way back up Eastern Bay, to Prospect Bay, through Kent Narrows and out to the Chesapeake. By that time it was a little after 5:00. The bay was 1' or less with moderate wind. We got back to our marina about 6:30. We ran 14-15 across the bay in the morning and 18-19 coming home.

My log book entry for the day is W.O.I. (without incident) Except for the sandbar. :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
John
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

I was hoping for a picture of that sand bar. How many beers did you have??? :mrgreen:
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Thanks for posting the tale of your trip! I really enjoy hearing where others charge about in their Albins, especially where a lesser boat might have to stay home. Glad the sandbar was a minor issue!!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Carl wrote:I was hoping for a picture of that sand bar. How many beers did you have??? :mrgreen:
1 beer! Really. :shock:
After it was all over we did say "we should have taken a picture".

I wasn't at the helm. 8)
John
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

John: Sorry to hear about your encounter with the sandbar going home but glad there was no damage. Green "1" used to be a very visible day mark but about two years ago it was replaced with a small can which is hard to see. (not sure if the day mark was hit by a boat or if it was damaged by ice). On my first trip up the Wye this year I was not paying attention to the chart plotter and almost did the same thing before changing course at the last minute. (the damn can is way out in the middle) I have made that run over 100 times so don't feel bad. Maybe we should have had more beer !
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus

Return to “Cruising”