• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Low Tide Fishing

Moderator: RobS

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Low Tide Fishing

Post by Pitou »

The water temps finally got cool enough at 49 degrees that I went for my 1st rake of the '10 - '11 oystering season, but boy the cold water oysters of January and February can't be beat!

I had a good WSW wind working today pushing the plus 1.7 tide out. It pushed the outgoing tide out so much it was almost like a minus 1 with water at mid-calf. :D With my daily limit of 30 (60 per week,) all scrubbed and ready to be eaten on the halfshell this afternoon with an adequate supply of Guinness, I met the warden on my way out the path. We exchanged the pleasantries that a beautiful sunny fall day can bring, I shared my intentions for this first catch and he peered in my bucket and said he wished he were coming to my house. 4 o'clock cocktail hour will be good today. :wink: I"ll be at again tomorrow with a friend and another fresh supply of Guinness!

Wish you were here .;)
oystering (1).JPG
oystering (2).JPG
oystering (3).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by Pitou on Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Low Tide Fishing

Post by Russell »

Wow does that look great and you are probably enjoying them as I write this at 5 PM eastern time. We used to have great oysters on the Chesapeake until diseases and over-harvesting wiped them out. Attempts are being made to bring them back but it will take many years. Enjoy.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Low Tide Fishing

Post by Pitou »

Oh man ... delicious! Headed back for the 12:30 tide today ... same wind as yesterday.

Our fishery is strictly recreational with a couple of locations where seeding 1st took place in the mid '90's in areas that had small natural beds that had barely survived years of over harvesting. Seeding operations take place annually now to keep things going. It takes me about 30 - 40 minutes to get my daily 30 and scrub them clean at the waters edge. The water is clean and located in the areas of the famous Ipswich & Essex soft shell clam beds. i'm lucky to have this small excellent fishery so near. Yesterday there were about 8 to 10 people raking. The weekdays .... virtually nobody.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Fishing”