• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

South River

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

South River

Post by kathylsails »

We had our first overnight trip of 2011 this weekend in South River, NC, where we met friends and had a great time. Last September someone asked for a picture of the cockpit shade I made. Here is KP Duty wearing it and carrying our kayaks! The shade was easy to make. It ties to the handrails and goes on and off in a jiffy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
Bidgood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pelican Isle, Florida

Re: South River

Post by Bidgood »

Kathy,

Is that your dingy on the roof of the pilothouse? It must be an inflatable. What type do you have?

Tom L.
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Albin 30 FC
Hull # "0"
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kathylsails »

No, those are kayaks. They're pretty easy to stow up there. We have an inflatable dinghy (a 9' Zodiac) that we can lash onto the swim platform, but we prefer the kayaks. BTW- we stenciled our boat number and hailing port on the bottom of the dinghy since it hides the stern. We've heard that the Coast Guard won't stop you as long as they can read your name and hailing port.
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

I also have a nine foot inflatable dinghy that I can stow laterally on the swim platform. I drive it with a 2.5 HP "Mariner" outboard that I stow on a bracket attached to the stern rail. I don't use the dinghy much because I seldom anchor overnight and I find it somewhat obscures the view aft when it is stowed on the swim platform.
BTW, up here in the semi-frozen north we are still waitng to launch due to record high water levels on the Ottawa River.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kathylsails »

John, May launch time come soon for you! Thanks for the input re: the outboard. We stowed an outboard on our sailboat's stern rail but weren't sure about the 30 FC. We might just try it now!
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kathylsails »

Tom, I meant to add that I love your saying, "Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape." I am going to make it my mantra!
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
Bidgood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bidgood »

Kathy,

As any Albin owner knows "Life Happens" better to enjoy. Flexibility is the key! We are going across the state in the FC 30 next week end. It will be nice to be on fresh water for a day or two. I am going to borrow a couple of Kayaks for the trip to try them out. Do you have a special mount or do you just securly lash them to the pilot house?

Albin 30 FC
Hull # "0"
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kathylsails »

Tom, Have a great trip! We just lash the kayaks to the pilot house handrails and put some padding under the ends so they don't rub. We use those straps with hooks and ratchets so that we can tighten them. The previous owner had some sort of special mount but we haven't needed one so far--the kayaks have stayed nice and secure. (Knock on wood!)
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

I am happy to report to my fellow Albin 30FC owners that katie G was finally launched yesterday and now all is well in the not-so-frozen north (78 F to-day).
Bidgood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Launching

Post by Bidgood »

John,

I thought that August was the only summer month up there...... Enjoy. We are off to Lake Okochobee this week. It takes about 8 hrs in the boat with one overnight stop.

We should have an FC 30 gathering. It could take a long time for everyone to get there though. Canada, Carolina, Florida New York and Australia are places I know FC 30's are located so far. Perhaps we could do a virtual gathering instead. John C should start an FC30 area on this Blog.

Tom

Albin 30 FC
Hull # "0"
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kathylsails »

I love the idea of an FC Virtual Gathering--and an FC 30 site on AOG! There aren't that many of us, are there?
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kathylsails »

John--May you have a great summer on Katie G!!!
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

THANKS FOR THE GOOD WISHES. I AM HOPING TO DO THE RIDEAU CANAL...OTTAWA TO KINGSTON ON LAKE ONTARIO...AGAIN THIS YEAR. THE CANAL IS NOW DESIGNATED AS A WORLD HERITAGE SITE...120 MILES LONG WITH 49 LOCKS...STILL OPERATED BY HAND (BY PARKS STAFF, NOT THE BOATERS!) AND EACH LOCK STATION IS A HISTORIC BUILDING IN PARK SETTING.
THE A-30FC IS A GREAT BOAT FOR THIS TYPE OF TRIP. TOO BAD OUR SEASON IS SO SHORT!

Return to “Cruising”