• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 Engines

Albin's "power cruisers"
glk34
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mactaquac New Brunswick Canada

A27 Engines

Post by glk34 »

I see a couple of A27 s for sale in Ontario. One has a 60hp Lehman engine and the other a 160hp isuzu, Seems like quite a wide range. What engine was normally installed in say a 1988 model? Was the 60hp not big enough so they increased in the new models?
Just trying to learn a bit about the 27 as I think if I trade my A25 the 27 would be first on my list. (the 28 is sweet but too much $$ for my budget)

Iron Jack
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: A27 Engines

Post by johnmurray »

My last boat was a 1990 Albin 27 Express with the 157 HP Isuzu engine. I think that through the life of the Albin 27 production they gradually increased the size of the engine in response to a demand for more speed and possibly more responsive handling. The 157 is enough to make the boat "semi-planing" at around 12-14 knots top speed. A smaller engine would be quite a bit slower.
If you are shopping for an Albin 27, condition is everything. The later boats (up to 1990) usually have the largest engines and are in usually better condition because they are newer.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
glk34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by glk34 »

Thanks John. What about the difference between the 27 family model, and the 27 Express model? Was the Express what they called the newer boats?

Iron Jack
Chris
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

I believe they built the Albin 27 in both the family cruiser and the sport express versions throughout the production run. Most of the 27s are family criusers so the express versions are comparatively harder to find. The express version, with its large cockpit, is an ideal fishing boat but it's accommodation is minimal and it would not be very suitable for a family sleeping overnight.
When Albin discontinued the 27 around 1990 and shifted to the 28, the 28 was built only in the express version. In 2004 they came out with a new version of the family cruiser which was a stretched version of the 28 called the A-30FC and its has an aft cabin that is larger than the aft cabin in the A-27. Only a few A-30s were built before Albin went out of business.
The choice between the A-27 family cruiser and the express depends entirly upon what you want to use the boat for. I found the A-27 to be ideal for day cruising on the Ottawa River and taking friends out for barbeques in the large cockpit. But when I became more interested in extending cruising I found it quite unsuitable so I decided to go the A-30FC.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave »

I have the 157 Isuzu in my 27, I think the smaller engine would be fine in calm waters and lakes but in the ocean pushing againt higher winds and 8' waves and woudn't want the smaller engine.
glk34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by glk34 »

Thanks for the info guys. It is good to know the history of the models. I have only seen a couple of 27s in this neck of the woods and they both were the family 27.

Iron Jack

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”