• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Any Info on PENINSULAR Engines in ALBIN 31's?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Morning Star

Any Info on PENINSULAR Engines in ALBIN 31's?

Post by Morning Star »

Hello -

I'm looking at purchasing a used ALBIN 31 with twin PENINSULAR diesel engines. I do not know much about the engines other than they seem to have a bad reputation.

Has anyone had either good or bad experiences with them?

Any indication as to expected life in terms of operating hours before major rebuild?

And from reading some of the posted comments, fuel consumption appears to be around 8-10 US Gpm at about 18 knots.

Thx for your comments,

PKS
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

There is a thread on Peninsular engines down below. Everyone seems happy with them. The dockside BS probably goes all the way back to the diesels GM put in Oldsmobiles in the 80s. Totally different engine.

That 8 - 10 gph you're quoting would be per engine, but I would think 18 knots would be low. My prior boat was also a 31, with twin 250 Cummins and cruised at 22 knots. Not sure how a tower would affect the speed, if the boat you're looking at has one.

Current boat has a single 450 Cummins and cruises at 19 knots burning 17 - 18 gph.

Good luck in your search.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Peter,
You are starting a thread that will get you plenty of replies. :)

Go get 'em Tomcat!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
tomcat rio

sheesh!

Post by tomcat rio »

"i told everybody everything i know about peninsulars, and they still don't know nothin'!"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Check out the many other threads on this topic.

Return to “General Discussion”