• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fall Fishing

Moderator: RobS

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Fall Fishing

Post by Pitou »

It's not over yet .... yesterday afternoon off Magnolia and Kettle Island tolling in flat water. What a beautiful day for catch & release! 8)
004.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Fall Fishing

Post by DougSea »

Hey Kevin!

Really nice looking fish! And I love that it was caught on a Wednesday afternoon - I think I was sitting in a meeting! :(

Ah well, at least I can daydream...
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Beautiful fish. Did you release him by choice or is the season closed? Our season opens in October but the big ones do not get here until December and January depending upon how quickly the water temperature drops.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Released by choice as I already have one in the freezer in 4 seperate vacuum packs. That fish did have some big shoulders. Our recreational season is 12 months a year ... 2 / day over 28 inches. The commercial season was mid July to mid August ... approx. 1.2 million pounds for the commercial quota. Our fall run has begun and usually peaks by the last of Sept. thru the 1st week to 10 days or so in October.

Looking forward to trolling the tube 'n worm on lead core at 2 +/- kts close to the beaches, maybe late afternoon today! My kayak buddy got me into the lead core and tube'n. He has been making his own tubes for the last 4 or so years ... never caught anything on the tube before using his. As he puts it ; "it's the special sauce" ... he utilizes a rattle inside the tube. I'll take a BUTCHIE BUILT over a SANTINI any day! I have also been a beta tester as I've received different renditions for my birthday each year in May 4 years running. The trolling valve sure does come in handy for this type of sloooooooooow trolling.

He gave another buddy one of his tubes to fish the NY Jamaica Bay Kayak Tourney this year and he won! ... here is the 36+ lb winner .... everyone was asking what he was fishing ... a cottage business was born ... BUTCHIE BUILT CUSTOM TACKLE http://butchiebuilt.com/

Check out the tube hanging from his rod ...
winner.bmp
To fall fishing and tight lines!
Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Post by Legacy »

Nice fish Kevin. Glad you are still using the boat. Boating season doesn't end with Labor Day!
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Kevin: Thanks for the link to Butchie built lures. I am familiar with surgical tubing lures but not rigged like he does. Do you use an in-line weight or just the lure? Our stripers are sitting on the bottom in 40-50 feet and we use heavy weights with a rubber shad called Mo-Jo's on a 3-way with trailing large Storm menhaden or Tomics pulled behind in-line 8 - 12 oz weights. Troll speed <3k over bottom. An old waterman on my dock was just telling me how good the surgical tube lures were this past weekend so I need to try one.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Russell ... Using the lead core set-ups generally does not require us to add extra weight. My lead core set-up is a Shimano TLD 15 lever drag. I can get the tube down about 25 feet or more. The tubes do have weighted heads, but my pal Guyton / "Butchie" does make-up more heavily weighted tubes for guys fishing mono. Send him an email and he'd be happy to make something "custom" for your fishing depths. Remember, "it's all about the worm".

We also employ the mojo set-ups up our way as well. Switching things up during a fishing trip is sometimes the only way to find success.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

Post by Butch »

I might have to get some of those Butchie Builts.....Don't tell Carl
MeyrickP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stamford CT

Post by MeyrickP »

Yesterday for the first time I took Andiamo, our 28 TE Enginebox, out fishing with a professional fisherman. He had nothing but compliments about how well the 28 TE behaved. I was chuffed and we caught a small tuna in LI Sound as well as lots of Blues. Quite something! My only concern was NO ONE was to trample the blood and guts down below. Getting stains on the Admiral's bunk would not have been popular!

Great day and well worth it to have a professional along with all the right equipment. Fun, fun, fun.

If anyone wants to know the name of the professional fisherman please let me know.
Meyrick Payne
Albin 32+2
"Ancora"
Stamford, CT
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Wow. Great catch and we are all impressed. Whatever else the fall holds - it does not get any better than that. Must be nice to have a full freezer in order to "catch & release" that baby. My freezer has suffered this year from chasing boats and trying to sell the old. Has to be better next in the NW.
whwells "Howard"
"Nibbles"

Return to “Fishing”