• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Questions to ask Broker

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jack Stone
Mate
Mate

Questions to ask Broker

Post by jack Stone »

We are new to the group and are in need of some input from your experience . We are looking at a used 05, 28 w/Yanmar 315. We have bought sail boats in the past but never bought a inboard boat like this. We are having a survey done (if we can come to a deal) but was looking for things we are not thinking of before we even get to that point to ask. Any thing you wish you had asked before you bought? Any input would be helpful.
Thanks
Jack Stone
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Jack,
Welcome to the board! If your looking at an Albin, your looking at a real boat.
You will receive some good advice here. My thoughts?

Remember that the broker, no matter how nice, is in the business of selling a boat. He is working for the seller. Most brokers are honest and up front but you should still take things with a grain of salt.
The survey will reveal issues or concerns that will raise questions. How you use that information is up to you. You can use it to negociate price or to have the seller take care of things before it's sold to you.
It's very seldom that the broker will offer information that would have a negative effect on the sale. So, the survey is your bible.

Just my two cents. Keep us updated.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

When we bought our Albin it was the first time we bought a boat through a broker. Like John says they work for the seller. They try to stay neutral at times but they want to sell the boat. Ours was very helpful.

Some things I suggest:

a) Maintenance documentation
b) Go over the survey process with the surveyor and make sure they intend to look at everything you want them to look at. Our surveyor missed one thing that was important to us. The galley stove/heater did not work.
c) We had two different surveyors, one for the boat/hull in general and one for the engine/drive train. This worked out well. The engine surveyor (a very experienced diesel mechanic) found a small problem with the turbo that would have developed into a major problem. The general surveyor did not look at the engine/drive train in this detail.
d) If at all possible be there the day they do the surveys and ask lot’s of questions.

Good Luck!

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
jack Stone
Mate
Mate

Post by jack Stone »

Thanks for your input. I have called a engine man we know. I asked his advice on how deep he should go. Is it as simpe as a oil test or more. The concern is the boat was put one the market new on 07/04 it was bought by the seller on 03/05 and it ony has 60 hours on it. Sitting so long has me questioning what we should look at on the engine. It just had it's 50 hr service done.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

jack Stone wrote:Thanks for your input. I have called a engine man we know. I asked his advice on how deep he should go. Is it as simpe as a oil test or more. The concern is the boat was put one the market new on 07/04 it was bought by the seller on 03/05 and it ony has 60 hours on it. Sitting so long has me questioning what we should look at on the engine. It just had it's 50 hr service done.
Jack,
60 hrs on a two season boat? If the surveyor finds anything wrong it probably came from the factory that way. However, as I have learned here, a diesel is not made to sit at the dock. Hoses, rubber, that kind of stuff will be things to look at. The engine itself is probably fine assuming the 50 hr. service was done by a qualified mechanic. The seller will have records. Sounds like the boat is practically new.
Last edited by jcollins on Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

I went through the same thing last May. I purchased a 2005 28 Albin TA with 50 hours. I have been around boats my whole life and went over it with a fine tooth comb. I was still a bit nervous, but I also was dealing directly with the owner.I asked him if he would sign a form stating that the boat was free of damage by fire,grounding,weather conditions,hull failure,water intrusion,engine failure,collision damage or damage from theft. He signed it with no problem. One good part the Volvo D6 diesel is still under warranty. The boat now has 180 hours on it and the only problem was the AC unit. By the way the AC company is out of business so you are out of luck if the AC has problems. The owner did not like the boat it was to slow for him, he purchased a Intrepid!
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Our boat only had 80 hours put on it in three years by the previous owner. Other than some oxidation in the hull, the boat was no worse for wear.

The engine survery should be more than just an oil analysis, but obviously they can't go taking it apart. They will look over the engine to see if any parts are loose or worn, if there is chipped paint on bolts (evidence parts have been replaced, and zincs properly checked). They will pay close attention to those items, but for the most part, they go by external appearance, relying on the oil test to tip them off to anything internal.
tomcat rio

seems to me the best question to ask a broker might be....

Post by tomcat rio »

"Sheeze! That's outrageous! Can't ya do better than that? Who do I look like, J.P. Morgan?"

Return to “General Discussion”