• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin heating/cooling system

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

med2alfa

Albin heating/cooling system

Post by med2alfa »

I need some feedback on the heating/cooling systems installed in the Albins that are sold to the east coast market. Us west coast guys don't have much use for the cooling part, so-----

If I were to find a boat out east, what kind of heat source is generally installed in these boats Is it the heat pump type that produces both cooling and heat? Is the heat part adequate for temperatures around the freezing mark? Is there a separate heat source for use while connected to shore power? I assume there is always heat available for heating the cabin and helm from the engine while underway.

I'm looking at the Tournament Express models. I also like the 32+2 model but don't know if the open flybridge style, enclosed in canvas, would be warm enough in our wet cold windy weather.
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

My Albin 30FC came with a factory installed Anchor "Marine Comfort System" which is a water cooled heat pump. I find it to be very effective in producing vast amounts of hot or cold air in the temperature ranges we experience around here. My only complaint is that I find the digital control system excessively complicated and not very user friendly.
Because the unit is water-cooled it must be winterized and shut down before sub-freezing temperatures may be encountered. There is no separate heat source, although the owner's manual suggest that they provide electric heat alternatives with their "cool only" systems.
Here in Ottawa we must lift our boats and winterize them in mid-October, well before risk of freezing. The heat mode in my unit works well up until that date.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Our 36' ET came installed with two Anchor air conditioning/heat pump unit (dual zones), and an Espar diesel heater.

The diesel heater works much like an oil or natural gas furnace in your home. It heats the cabin up quickly and efficiently. However, ours is quite loud, and the thermostat is very rudimentary, making precise temperature adjustments difficult.

The AC units run on shorepower, or when we have the generator running. Once you figure them out, they are not that difficult to use and can easily be swapped between heating and cooling. We are also in Puget Sound, and although we don't use the cooling part often, there are times that it's nice in the summer. The heating works great, but be warned that it takes longer to heat the cabin up than the diesel heater. Heat pumps are better for maintaining the temperature, not as good for achieving the temperature. I have had no problem using ours in sub-freezing weather. It uses the salt water, so unless the weather gets REALLY cold, the lines don't freeze and there are no problems. Generally speaking, though, when it gets that cold, I use the diesel heat anyway, becuase it is stronger.

As for heat off the engine, I don't know that I've seen an Albin such equipped yet. Ours was not. However, heat exchangers that tap into the engine's coolant system are not expensive. You can get models that tap into your existing ducted heating system, or that simply mount on a bulkhead. I'm contemplating the former option currently, and found a unit that is about $200, though the parts for plubing the coolant to it will add to that price considerably.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

The 1997 28TE I purchased in September has a MarineAir reverse cycle system that heats and cools on shore power and a helm area heater/blower that runs off hot water from the engine. It is suppled from T's in the hoses going to the hot water heater. I do not know how many Albins have this option but if you cannot find one it seems like an easy retrofit.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “General Discussion”