• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

27 FC Steering Question

Albin's "power cruisers"
Jack-B
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Shell Point, FL

27 FC Steering Question

Post by Jack-B »

I'm a new owner of a 1986 27 FC. Steering is a Morse cable system and appears to be original with lots of play. Considering replacing with similar Teleflex system and possible SiTex auto pilot, Morse was bought out by Teleflex. Anyone out there that has replaced their steering your comments and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks JB
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Re: 27 FC Steering Question

Post by Veebyes2 »

I did a replacement of the cable steering after only a few years of owning my 1986 27AC. What a world of difference!!! No more wandering to port. Finger light steering. Did the job myself. Installed the Capillano system, really intended for a 40' boat. Nothing like a bit of overkill.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

SiTex makes an autopilot called the Dash Drive, which is a combination steering helm/AP Drive unit. If you go that route you can figure in the savings over having to replace the helm. You would still need the cable though and probably wont be a bad idea.

I'm hoping to install that very same system in my A27 this spring - if my Christmas bonus lasts that long.

One caution about the SiTex dash drive: the mounting depth of the dash unit leaves barely enough room (I've heard you need some creative bulkhead cutting and it may intrude on the head compartment) so I would "measure twice - cut once".
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
Jack-B
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Jack-B »

Thanks for your comments, about the SiTex Dash Drive, do you know what the model # is? I have not seen "Dash Drive" in any of the cataloges. Thanks again for your help. JB
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Here's the "Dash Drive" unit - check it out on page 3:

http://www.si-tex.com/2011_autopilotdrivebrochure.pdf

The dash-drive is available in either a fixed 90 degree helm or a tilt steering helm model.

You would pair this with a control unit, most likely a SP70 (hand-held wired remote) or a SP80 (fixed mount)

I think they can come as a package, but I'm not sure.

I'm going to have to polish up on my autopilot research if I'm going to make the rendezvous this year. Still trying to make it through the holidays intact...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
Jack-B
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Jack-B »

Thanks again for your help and site info. I'm planning on contacting SiTex by phone and will post results. Happy New Year!
AKDW
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SEWARD

Post by AKDW »

I know this is a few months old but I might have something to contribute. I found my 1986 Albin also had alot of play in the steering and fell off to port when underway if I let go of the wheel. This is a Teleflex BigT. I found on the back of the steering box a nut with a locking nut (9/16) and tightened it. This fixed my steering issue.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”