• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 36 Express Questions

AK_Albin36
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Whittier, Alaska

Albin 36 Express Questions

Post by AK_Albin36 »

I've been a fan of these boats for 10 years and am finally in a position to buy one. Hoping to get some pre-inspection info from the group. The one I've got my eye on is a 2004 36 ET with 420 single cat.

What is the overall length, including the anchor?
What kind of fuel economy are folks getting at 7-8-9 kts?
Did the builder fix the keel / prop / 2000 rpm vibration issue by 2004?
Any other issues I should be aware of and looking for during my inspection?

Anyone thinking of selling that's not already posted in the for sale section?

Thanks in advance.... looking forward to being a real member.
2004 Albin 36 ET "EvenTide"
Single Cat 3126B 450
Whittier, Alaska
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Re: Albin 36 Express Questions

Post by joreyn »

I have the twin cats version, so can't answer the fuel economy question. I believe there is a modification to the skeg keel that alleviates the vibration. You should be able to find a discussion of this on the forum.
The one issue that everyone seems to have is a rainwater leak which comes down from the starboard flybridge into the galley area. If water finds its way inside the rear seat/locker up on top, it eventually runs down through the hole inside the locker that is for wiring that runs up to the mast.

I did a couple of things to fix that. The most important is to keep the drain holes open. I also rigged a short length of flexible plastic tubing over the wires and into the hole. I then sealed around the tubing. Others have advised just sealing the hole up completely, but that might pose a problem if you need to work on the wiring.n Also, if the boat has flybridge canvas, use it when you are not underway. In Alaska, a full enclosure for the flying bridge would really be good, and would probably eliminate the problem.

Other than that, just verify that everything is working properly. Generally, Albin equipped these boats with high quality equipment, and if properly maintained, it should all have a long life. The one exception is the refrigerator, which was typically Norcold. They don't last. Compressors fail after 5 to 10 years, and it costs more to replace the compressor (includiong labor) than it does to install a higher quality new refer.

Other than that, these are really good cruising boats, with lots of usable space. Hire a good surveyor. And pay attention to any problems called out in the report.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
AK_Albin36
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AK_Albin36 »

Thanks for your reply joreyn. Appreciate the insights. I was able to measure one here in Alaska today and confirm the 37 foot overall length, plus another 6 inches for the anchor when stowed.

36 ET owners with twin screw 330s..... ever run on one side and let the other freewheel at slow speeds to save fuel? I know some equipment is built for it and others not. How about these?
Single Cat 3126B 450
Whittier, Alaska
Engineer6
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Formerly Windmill Harbor, SC

Post by Engineer6 »

If you look at my post of March 14, 2010 you can see the solution to the vibration problem. It involved adding a fiberglassed in tapered fairing to the trailing edge of the flat back of the keel that was near the prop.
I do not know if Albin had implemented that solution in 2004 on other single screw 36's. It is easy to implement and it sure fixed our problem.
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by marko »

I have a 2001 36ET with twin Cummins 330's. One engine quit in the ICW Currituck Sound last fall and we let in free wheel going displacement speed because the ZF Transmission owner's manual stated it was ok for towing situations or at anchor with current. So far, seems fine, but I wouldn't want to run one engine regularly.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

AK_Albin36 wrote:I've been a fan of these boats for 10 years and am finally in a position to buy one. Hoping to get some pre-inspection info from the group. The one I've got my eye on is a 2004 36 ET with 420 single cat.

What is the overall length, including the anchor?
What kind of fuel economy are folks getting at 7-8-9 kts?
Did the builder fix the keel / prop / 2000 rpm vibration issue by 2004?
Any other issues I should be aware of and looking for during my inspection?

Anyone thinking of selling that's not already posted in the for sale section?

Thanks in advance.... looking forward to being a real member.
I think any vibration issues had been solved. I noticed some vibration when we first got Nordvika in the water in Puget Sound (after no problem durring a sea trial in San Francisco Bay). It quickly went away. We determined that it must have been related to an impoper installation of the shaft collar zinc. Nordvika is a 2003, and should be nearly identical to your 2004. In fact, I would not be surprised if the boat you are looking at in California was one that was for sale at the same time we bought Nordvika. If so, we looked at both boats closely, but ultimately decided to purchase the 2003 due lower hours and usage at the time.

For reference, here is a picture of our keel/shaft taken just a coule weeks ago:
DSCF3577 (Large).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
AK_Albin36
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AK_Albin36 »

Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far. It was very helpful during my pre-purchase phase.
Did sea trials last weekend and closed yesterday. EvenTide will be relocating to Alaska this summer on her own bottom. Unfortunately the timing of our stop in Anacortes is a few weeks ahead of the Rendezvous. Looking forward to future conversations and adventures.
Stbd Bow.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Single Cat 3126B 450
Whittier, Alaska
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

That's great news! Congratulations!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joreyn »

You may have heard that your stepmother and I are co-workers. What a coincidence. Anyway, I'd love to visit you if you are coming through the Puget Sound area. I think Kris said you might be stopping in Anacortes for a while?

When do you plan to head North?
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
Al_Bin
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: none

Post by Al_Bin »

Hi!

We're considering an Express Trawler 36, looking for fuel consumption info for both single and twin versions, please help if you can.
AK_Albin36
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AK_Albin36 »

I have a Cat 450 single screw on my 36 ET. After a 2400 mile delivery at various speeds, here is what I have figured out.
Econ Cruise - 1400 rpm - 7.5 knots - 4 gph - 1.9 nmpg
Fast Cruise - 2500 rpm - 14 knots - 18 gph - 0.8 nmpg
When less than 200 gallons of liquids are aboard, the fast cruise can be maintained at 2450 rpm at 15 knots and 15 gph (1.0 nmpg). Of course at that burn rate and fuel level, you better be headed for the fuel dock :)

Through dipping and fully filling, I have verified she holds at least 380 gallons. Went from Northern California to Anacortes, WA on one tank, with 100 gallons in reserve. That was a good test for the Gulf of Alaska crossing on one tank, from Juneau to Seward. Did it in 54 hours, averaging about 8 knots.

From what I can tell from other owners, the twin screw is more like 1.2 nmpg econ and 0.5 nmpg fast cruise (but at 18 knots).
Single Cat 3126B 450
Whittier, Alaska
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joreyn »

It probably depends on what the twin engines are. I have 3116 cats 300hp each. My top speed is 22 based on GPS speed over ground and I burn 32GPH at that speed. So that is roughly .7 mpg. I rarely do that though. Usually in a short burst to burn off carbon after a day of cruising at 8 or 9 knots. Or to
get out of the way of a BC ferry in a narrow pass.

You had quite the cruise this summer. You should post an account of it on the site.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”