• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Airex

Lenovo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point, California

Airex

Post by Lenovo »

Good morning,

Does anyone know during which model year Albin switched over to airex cored hulls for the 36 Albin Express Trawler?
Also, did they switch to composite stringers in the later years or continue with wood?

Thanks,
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Re: Airex

Post by marko »

I've been advised by the original dealer for my 2001 36 Express Trawler that the hull core is Divinycell, a closed cell foam which has been around for over 30 yrs. The stringers are also foam, as I can see and feel when crawling around in the bilge, by the holes cut thru for drainage. I don't know what foam is in the stringers but it does seem to be wearing well, not at all soggy. I considered, but did not do, sealing the edges of the foam holes thru the stringers. They have been that way from day one, have had water thru them and seem still fine. I also believe that the aft roof is also some sort of foam sandwich panel, but what foam? Hope others have additional info.
Mark
Lenovo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lenovo »

Good evening Marco,

Thank you for your reply. I am glad to learn the 2001 series has a non wood core. I find it surprising the stringers which support the engine mounts and engines would be a foam product. I am aware of one 2001 Express Trawler that has had the stringers professionally replaced with marine plywood stringers due to sponginess of the original stringers.
Do not know issues contributed to the need for replacement.

Thanks again.
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by marko »

Mushy stringers!!! I guess I'll be down in the bilge this weekend...one more thing for my OCD. I wonder how one knows what the foam is: Airex, Divinycell or what??? For the engine support, I've got some fairly large aluminum plates which I believe are through bolted thru the stringers. Are you looking at a 36ET out there in the west coast? Mark
Lenovo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lenovo »

Hello Mark,

The Pacific Northwest boat looks interesting based on the advertisement. The California boat apparently had some past storm damage which may have been remedied.

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”