• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Dual Anchors on a 36 ET

marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Dual Anchors on a 36 ET

Post by marko »

Has anyone rigged two anchors at the bow of an ET (or similar)? My primary anchor is a Bruce on a windlass and have just now (owned the boat for one year) pulled out the secondary anchor from under a stern seat with a giant, heavy ball of line, chain and anchor. It doesn't looked used much, if at all. I intend to set it up on a rail holder at the bow and stow the line in the same forward locker, but need to keep the lines separate. I was thinking about an offset vertical baffle or maybe a fixed side basket to hold the second anchor line away from the primary windlass line. This would make the second anchor easily accessible, especially for emergencies. Thanks.
Yummy
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: none

Re: Dual Anchors on a 36 ET

Post by Yummy »

Beware of anchors on rails especially in the bow. Anchors are heavy things. A wave shock or blue water over the flare can create havoc. This can either be "on deck" or even worse "below deck" - even props etc.
Additionally, if the anchor is permanently attached to its chain and line, a part of it will always be in the way; if not, it defeats the point of emergency usage. My suggestion is to have a plastic, or better yet, a rubber bin with handles into which you drop the anchor, line first. This way you can deploy it fast and it doesn't bang or rattle. Happy trips.
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by marko »

All approaches are under consideration, except the existing. Thanks for the input.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I had a Danforth on the bow rail for 6 years as shown below. I addded a deck pipe to go into the rode locker on the opposite side of the all chain rode for the main. I never had an issue with that set up other than it was a PIA to deploy from the rail.
For last summer's cruise I added a piece to the pulpit as shown in the third pic and this made easy deployment of either or both anchors.
This may not apply to what you have, but might spark some ideas.

IMG_0908.JPG
IMG_0920.JPG
002.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by marko »

What you show in the first photo is similar to what I was considering with an anchor mounting bracket on a vertical. I'm looking closer at putting it on the pulpit as per your third photo and may already have some old hardware to do that. In your set-up, is there one locker for the two anchor rodes or how do you keep the chain & lines separate? Thanks for the photos and input.
Mark
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

One rode locker. Chain stays on the left, and I coil the rode inside the locker on the right.
Coiling the rode is a PIA, but I use the anchor/chain on the left most of the time.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by marko »

I'm still exploring the best approach for my configuration. Been too busy and too cold to work out some options forward. For right now, the rubber tub works great for coiling the extra rode and I keep it aft and under the steps. I've been modifying an used anchor clip for the forward rail, but it needs more work as the Albin vertical rails are extra large (a good thing). I'll post some photos as I move along on the project. Thanks for everyone's input. Mark

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”