• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hull Material

Aligator70
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: east rockaway

Hull Material

Post by Aligator70 »

I am interested in buying a 1999 Albin 36 Fast Trawler. I have read that the hull is made of cored fiberglass. Is that true? Is that bad or good? I will be using the boat for a mix of family cruising and overnight canyon fishing trips so there maybe times that I can get into some rough water. Is this a good boat for my needs? Any advice would very helpful.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Hull Material

Post by RobS »

Family cruising = Great boat
Canyon fishing = No so good

You'd surely sleep comfortably on those over-nighters in the canyon but she's no offshore fishing machine in my opinion.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Aligator70
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: east rockaway

Post by Aligator70 »

Thank You. Really love the boat wish it would be better for fishing.
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

Post by seasalt »

Does anyone know of a way to find out the answer to Aligator's question about cored hulls...below the water line? If so, years?
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by marko »

I have a 2001 ET and have been told by the original dealer that it's cored with Divinycell, including the bottom, which is a closed cell foam. Don't know this for fact. Have heard from other sources that the bottom may be solid, but I don't know ( and suspect not ). There are holes thru the stringers in which there is a foam core. Bilge has been wet before, but foam seems unaffected. I believe there are some discussions on older AOG threads.
arcticspud
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gig Harbor, WA

Post by arcticspud »

I am surveying Indigo on Wednesday. I will know more about the hull than. I do know It is a foam cored hull with solid glass around all the thru hulls on this boat.
36 ET
Twin 6BTA 270
Hull #1
Happy Place
Gig Harbor, WA
AK_Albin36
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Whittier, Alaska

Post by AK_Albin36 »

How'd the survey go?
A couple of notes on the issues mentioned above.

Foam Core - Divinycell is the good stuff. Even if a section does get wet (and that's very rare), it won't spread like some of the cheaper core materials. Google search it - used in the best boats out there. From a Naval Architecture / Structural perspective, there is no better way to achieve stiffness and durability, while managing weight. As long as it was laid with a good strong layer of glass on both sides, and by people that know what they are doing (Albin does), it will last just as long as solid glass. Also, in cold climates, it insulates the boat a bit and prevents condensation on the interior surface.

Overall, these are very unique boats that end up being perfect for a unique crowd. Those of us who don't mind doing 8 knots, but like being able to go 16 when needed.... who like fishing, but LOVE cruising with the family more (even in the rain).... and who appreciate solid lines, sturdy construction, and top notch interior details. Have you ever seen another boat that is more pleasing to the eye in this size/cost range?

Good Luck in your search.
2004 Albin 36 ET "EvenTide"
Single Cat 3126B 450
Whittier, Alaska
arcticspud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by arcticspud »

Survey went well. Found a few small issues that are being addressed. An exhaust leak that has already been repaired, the radar won't spin up and the port engine has what we thought was a temp sending unit issue, but ended up being a gauge issue. Waiting for the gauge and the radar.

The Hull is a foam cored. Indigo came out well. The current owner did a lot of work though. It was grid drilled and the hull was vacuumed to get rid of moisture. It was than injected with epoxy resin. When it was tested on the survey, there was no moisture retention.

On the sea trial, we got the boat up to 22 knots @WOT. Don't plan on that often, but this boat moved out!
36 ET
Twin 6BTA 270
Hull #1
Happy Place
Gig Harbor, WA
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

Although I am no longer interested in the 36 ET in Clearwater I still like the boat model and may look for another one.

In regards to the survey mentioned above, if a Divinycell core won't wick water why did the current owner have to grid drill and vacuum the hull to remove moisture? If I missed something above, I apologize.

I am also concerned about the feasibility of this model in a shallow water area such as SW Florida. The single engine boat that I looked at seemed to have a very vulnerable prop to damage from running aground. Is this a valid concern?
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by marko »

Singles draft can be up to 5 ft. Doubles are more like 3'-3" to 3'-6". Every listing seems to have a variation on this theme, but that's way I waited for a double. Will need to check it out at survey.
arcticspud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by arcticspud »

seasalt wrote:Although I am no longer interested in the 36 ET in Clearwater I still like the boat model and may look for another one.

In regards to the survey mentioned above, if a Divinycell core won't wick water why did the current owner have to grid drill and vacuum the hull to remove moisture? If I missed something above, I apologize.

I am also concerned about the feasibility of this model in a shallow water area such as SW Florida. The single engine boat that I looked at seemed to have a very vulnerable prop to damage from running aground. Is this a valid concern?

I am not sure why it was drilled, vacuumed and injected. I think any fiberglass hull, cored or not, can absorb moisture. They felt it was important to do this process. I don't know about the single engine boats. The pictures I seen show they all have a keel that protects the prop. The twin only has a 3/4 keel and no prop protection.

Best of luck
36 ET
Twin 6BTA 270
Hull #1
Happy Place
Gig Harbor, WA
AK_Albin36
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Whittier, Alaska

Post by AK_Albin36 »

Prop Port.jpg
I have a single and it draws 4'10" (call it 5 feet). The skeg is stout and protects the prop and rudder quite well.
On the moisture, not sure what happened to the Clearwater boat. Mine has been in the water for 9 years straight, and had zero signs of moisture on the meter when hauled and surveyed last summer.
Picture if single skeg is attached. Hope that helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2004 Albin 36 ET "EvenTide"
Single Cat 3126B 450
Whittier, Alaska
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seasalt »

The 1999 in Clearwater looks nothing like the 2004 pictured above. They must have learned something and changed the design.

The '99 has no sand shoe (skeg) that protectes the prop or anchors the bottom of the rudder. The keel stops about 3/4 of the distance to the stern and the shaft extents at least three feet farther back to the prop. which was hanging down in "mid-air" since the boat was out of the water. There was absolutely no protection from damage.

The 2004 design would be very doable in SW Florida.
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”