• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Stability of 28

PnL

Stability of 28

Post by PnL »

I do a lot of diving and was thinking of a 28TE but wanted to know what the stability of the 28TE is at anchor if the seas kick up a bit. I know it doesn't have a flat hull so it won't be as stable, but what are your experiences? I'd like to have a stable diving platform, one which I can climb on with a lot of gear without worrying about being thrown.

Thanks,
Paul
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Very stable compared to other boats I've been on comparable in size. I also dive and most of my diving has been off much large boats (38' and up} but I have done some diving off my boat and have not have had any issues. I will add, and of course it's not diving related, but if you drift fish, my boat does lay beam to the wind which induces more roll than if you are anchored. Still, all in all, it's a very stable boat for its size.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
PnL

Post by PnL »

Why does it lay beam to the wind at drift? It is the way the pilot house is designed?

Also, how much weight can the stern seats take? These look like fold-down seats without any support to the deck so I'm concerned that having divers don/doff their gear on them might result in broken seats. Can they handle a few hundred pounds?

Another question I have is what the noise level is like in the cabin with the midship engine on the flush deck models, is it on par with other diesels of this size? Louder? Quiter?

BTW, I really like this boat and I'm leaning heavily towards it. If anyone has pictures of the way they set up the boat for diving I'd love to see it!

Thanks,
Paul
tomcat rio

try this.

Post by tomcat rio »

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Beam to the wind

Post by RicM »

Pretty much any boat I've ever drift fished from turns beam to the wind when the power is off. Easy to fix though, I use a drouge or sea anchor or for a short drift in moderate conditions drop the anchor well short of the bottom. It will usually create enough drag in the water to turn the bow into the breeze. This especially easy with a windlass.

Ric
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”