• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

hull liner

Albin's "power cruisers"
vic

hull liner

Post by vic »

I'm a new member who just purchased a 1973 Albin 25 with a rebuilt 22hp Volvo engine and a good hull (no blisters). Interior is a bit rough. For example, the hull liner is in bad shape largely gone. What are the options for replacing it? What if we decide to just paint the fiberglass in the cabin interior? I've heard about using rug material. What's that all about?
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

vic,
I'm not a A25 expert, I just wanted to jump in here and welcome you to the group. I'm sure you will get replies from others more knowledgeable than I.

Welcome aboard...
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Don from Mystic »

A good marine suppler (like defender, Hamilton etc) should have what you need.It's like a very short nap rug material.You could also try an automotive/fabric supplier for "headliner" materials. Be sure whatever you use is mildew resistant. Don
Woody
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rideau Ferry Harbour

Re: hull liner

Post by Woody »

We're in the process of replacing the old vinyl liner on the cabin walls. Got some new vinyl with stretchy backing designed for boat headliners.
My question... What's the best way to remove the old contact cement from the hull? Is there a solvent that will remove old glue without harming the hull material?
'Chipmunk' the Albin
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

I'm getting ready to peel off our Port Quarter liner soon. It's half hanging loose now. I plan to use a rotary wire brush and wear a respirator, then vacuum out the dust and debris. My first fix will be white mildew resistant Latex paint. Somebody above mentioned "close nap fabric". The liner throughout our 1976 Albin-25 is white sheet vinyl with a grey polka dot pattern which makes it look like acoustic perforations. The vinyl has a thin backing of what looks like Urethane foam, and it has deteriorated due to old age.

Nick
Woody
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Woody »

Nick,
Ours has the same polka dot vinyl. After peeling it off, it left a bunch of powdery glue which we are removing with a wire brush. But it still leaves a rubbery residue - not sure whether new contact cement will stick the new liner onto this, or whether we should try harder to get down to bare hull material.

We purchased new 'headliner' vinyl material which will supposedly conform to a compound curve, and some spray on contact cement called 'Camie 393' especially made for headliners and trim. Haven't tried it yet, but bought a new mask with vapour filters for the job.
'Chipmunk' the Albin
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

I will soon be taking on the same task in the aft cabin so I look forward to seeing further reports of product used and installation success - or otherwise!
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Woody wrote:Nick,
We purchased new 'headliner' vinyl material which will supposedly conform to a compound curve, and some spray on contact cement called 'Camie 393' especially made for headliners and trim. Haven't tried it yet, but bought a new mask with vapour filters for the job.
Woody- we are in not far from you. Curious to know where you sourced your liner material?
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Woody
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Woody »

SunsetRider,
Hey, nice to find an Albiner so close to home.

We got our vinyl material and adhesive from Sew Crafty in Rideau Ferry. Sue and Fred have had boat experience, and can order quite a few 'boaty' items. They also have a nice little coffee shop in their store where we often take refreshment after a hard day of working on the boat at Rideau Ferry Harbour marina.

I see your home port is Kingston - we plan to cruise down the canal to Kingston the weekend of Aug. 9 - 11 and stay at Confederation Basin for a few days. It would be fun to meet you while we're there.

You can contact us by phone at 613-285-1624 or VHF radio MMSI 316025131.
'Chipmunk' the Albin
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

I'm doing bow work in our anchor rode shelf, relocating the forward deck cleat and fresh water fill cap. In the process, the portside liner has fallen loose, revealing a 1/4" thick layer of foam which crumbles to dust when I touch it. I intend to cut away the liner on both sides of the shelf and vacuum out the foam. As I've got liner problems at both ends of the boat liner on port quarter is mostly hanging loose), and have no desire to breath foam dust at night when cruising, I will cut out all of the liner in our Albin next Spring and paint the interior. It appears that the vinyl/foam/adhesive liner in Albin-25 has a very finite useful life; long, but finite just the same.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Woody wrote:SunsetRider,
Hey, nice to find an Albiner so close to home.
I've noted your contact info Woody - ours:
613-929-9611 (when I hear it) and MMSI 316025383

Although we won't be bringing the Manatee back up river to Kingston from Gananoque (Clark's Marina) I might well drop by to see you folks by land in Kingston this coming weekend. I have many questions that need answering!
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”