• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Leveling a 36 DC

mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Re: Leveling a 36 DC

Post by mike66 »

Our 40 has the problem of deck water collecting forward of the most forward scupper. I would assume that the boat was designed to sit lower in the stern (or higher in the bow) although the way the bootstripe is painted, it seems to sit okay. Maybe the boot stripe was relocated. My plan is to make a couple of new scuppers at the point where the water collects, and thereby keep it out of the cabin :D Having an all-chain rode and large anchor, along with a very heavy bow thruster, may be pulling my bow down. There also may be some wet decking up front as well. She did come with some ballast in the rear lockers in the stateroom; I think more for side-to-side trim than for-and-aft. As mentioned, maybe the forward cabin is not the place to store the beer. Good luck to all.....
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Mine also "pools" a bit just aft of the port sliding door, but the water stays on the teak decking. I don't believe the deck is soft there, it is just a low spot. Probably from 30 years of using that egress point as that is the route to the flybridge. It is right where one would step back onto the deck from the steps.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
James Grant
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Baycrest Marina, Big Island, Ontario

Post by James Grant »

Ours has been hauled for winter.

I had it leveled and will leave it uncovered for a few weeks waiting for a rain, course we had a torrential downpour for the last two days getting it ready to haul and the forecast is now 2 weeks of sun .... got soaked to the $%#

This should provide some interesting information:

1. Water should drain off the decks properly or ... where to cut in new scuppers
2. Where the water pools in the upper helm so I can cut suppers to drain it.
3. Water that collects in the window tracks should drain properly.

Should solve all of the water issues ................... ya ok

Grant
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.
Groucho Marx
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

If you do install new scuppers, please provide details/photos to help us out. I will be doing mine in the spring.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Question for Doug. You comment that water and fuel are usually kept at 1/2 level. Does that raise some issues with reference to rust of the tanks? I have been told over the years that a full fuel tanks extends it's life.

My 35te does gets down pretty far at the transom with all tanks fully fueled. However, it is my practice to leave the boat in that status.

Two of my former boats a 24 Grady While Off Shore and a 27 Whaler Full Cabin both had fuel tanks failures. Both situations were really dangerous as the problem occurred off shore. The Whaler I purchased new in 88 as one of the few twin 350 IB's and I did take it's care seriously. The Grady While had a single prior owner and was garaged and kept on the trailer inside. I did not keep the tanks full on either of those boats.

Nibbles does carry a dingy and engine on the swim platform. That seems to drop the the boat about an 1" or 2".

whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sportfisher/Conv.

Return to “36/37/40/43”