• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

1986 36 Albin Trawler water leak by shaft log.

psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Avalon, NJ

Re: 1986 36 Albin Trawler water leak by shaft log.

Post by psneeld »

jleonard wrote:I sit corrected! I checked mine today and it IS around 6 feet.
That said, I think if I had to do this job I would grind into the keel area from one side. Grind out whatever was necessary to remove the tube, etc., replace it maybe with fiberglass, then glass the keel back together.
I would have to double check...but on my boat I think the good news is that my shaft is 1 1/2" and the tube is over 2 inches so a liner may fit up in there...not worried about it as any leak I have is so slow....I haven't noticed where it's coming from yet.
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
lfrankooh
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Cleveland, Ohio

Post by lfrankooh »

Hi - I'm kind of late in this discussion but wanted to let you know what we did. Our shaft tube was leaking and we decided to have it replaced. This is on a 1978 36' DC.

The shaft is 1 1/2" diameter, the shaft tube is 2" diameter. Not enough clearance for inserting a fiberglass tube which is what we thought would be a solution. Instead, the tube was dug out from the top and from the outside of the keel. We did not do the work but found Wayfarer's Cove on the Neuse River in NC that was interested and willing to give it a go!

The top of the tube is screwed into the upper cutless bearing housing (mounted on the crossmember aft of the transmission with 4 bolts) as well as screwed into the lower cutless bearing. By digging down from above and digging in from the outside, the shaft was able to be removed. It was replaced with a fiberglass tube which is now glassed in at both ends.

Dawson Boatworks did the actual work and did a wonderful job of it. I have lots of pictures if anyone is interested, I'm happy to send. Cost was $6000 although I'm not sure he would do it again for that price!
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I would be interested in pictures. You could post here or send to me at
leonaj99 at yahoo dot com
Thanks in advance
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Sea Crawler
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Trident Yacht Club, Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

Post by Sea Crawler »

I too would be interested in the photos.
You could post here or send them to me at plantrj at rogers dot com.
Many thanks.
Robert Plante
1980 Albin 36 DC; FL120
lfrankooh
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by lfrankooh »

Here's a few pictures for anyone interested. I have more - send me an email and I can send. lfrankooh at yahoo dot com.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

Was the keel hollow?
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Avalon, NJ

Post by psneeld »

mike66 wrote:Was the keel hollow?
on my boat it's a different section...but mine was full of water and I'm "suspecting" it comes from the shaft log area.
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
lfrankooh
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by lfrankooh »

The keel was not hollow on our 36'. It was filled with a mixture of what seemed to be fiberglass mixed with ???. The water coming from the holes in the shaft log made it's way out by way of the aft crossmember. There was enough of a crack in the fiberglass covering the crossmember to let the water seek out.

So far so good though!

Return to “36/37/40/43”