• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Location of Bilge Pumps

C&D
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Hilton Head South Carolina (tenative)

Location of Bilge Pumps

Post by C&D »

I have an 88 Albin 43 Sundeck. I am trying to find the location of all existing bilge pumps. I have located a bilge sump just aft of the forward stateroom. This sump has an automated pump controlled by a float and is alarmed. Alos in this area is the shower sump with it's own automated pump. If the shower sump over flows it drains into the bilge sump. My problem is that I can not locate another bilge sump on the boat. I expected to find one in the engine room. I did find a bilge trough between the engines however after lifting the engine room deck plates did not find a sump or pump. I looked aft in the master stateroom but also to no avail. Of course with the water tanks below the master queen berth I wouldn't think it would be located there due to access. For those with 43 Albin's what am I missing? I have switches below the lower helm indicating two bilge pumps. Any help with this is most appreciated. I have the original design drawings for the water system and drain systems from Ka Shing but not the bilge drain systems. Thanks in advance!
Odyssea

Re: Location of Bilge Pumps

Post by Odyssea »

My 1986 Albin 43' Sundeck 's bilge pumps, primary and secondary, are located in the same general area, along with the shower sump. This is the lowest point in the unresisrict bilge, everything gravity flows forward to this area. There's a deck access in the passageway between the galley and forward head.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

My pumps are where Odyssea described. I had only one electric bilge pump when I bought the boat. I installed a second.
There is also a manual pump located inside the step next to the lower steering station door.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

We have a 1985 43 Sundeck also and I would agree with Odyssea and jleonard.
When we purchased ours there was only the 1 in the bilge and the shower sump (I guess if it got too deep the shower would pick up some).
We added one above the shower sump (in that area) with an alarm (therefore it is a highwater alarm).
I don't know how old our current bilge pump is and it works fine, but a replacement is on my list, just to be safe.
I also carry some bungs and 2 foam plugs which double as engine exhaust plugs when we are on the hard for the winter. I also have some rescue tape on board.
Finally, I replaced our shaft seals with dripless models.
In closing, to be safe I close all thruhulls while we are in our slip and not on board.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mudskipper »

I have an 88 40 sundeck trawler. It came to me with a great honking big diaphram pump in about the middle of the boat, fed by a hose and strainer and bronze foot type intake in bottom of bilge. It had an electrical Rule type pump toward the back third of the boat. I installed another diaphram pump up near the front bathroom downstairs accessed by a floor hatch, with the same big bronze pickup to hose to screen and then thru pump and out. I guess that makes me a belt and suspenders type, but when you got a leak you need all the pump you got. I hope all you Albin folks have a fun safe season. Jay Aquarius

Return to “36/37/40/43”