• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

keeping cabin door open on a 28 TE

saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

keeping cabin door open on a 28 TE

Post by saltshaker28 »

Can any one give me some advice on keeping my cabin door open when I am underway
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

<smile> I owned my boat for almost a year with that problem. At the rendezvous I noticed chief loops a small bungee around the top. At first I thought it would detract from the natural beauty of the boat. 8)
Naw...no one even notices. Including me at this point. It's much better than the door swinging open in rough water. I'm sure someone has a much more elegant fix than I, but it works and it didn't cost anything.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I took off the velcro and put a snap in it's place, it works great.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

We use a stainless steel eye hook and a small bungee cord.
Don
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I'm with Chief and JC. When I took delivery it only took a couple of times for the one panel to swing away before I grabbed a white bungee that was in the bag of who knows supplies and gear for my 110 mile trip home. 4 seasons later the same bungee is in operation. The snap in place of the velcro doesn't sound too bad either / for now and until the bungee wears I'll stick with my current program
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

I still use velcro, I just wrap it over the top of the folded doors instead of in-between them, and it works fine.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Same process. Mine isn't really bungie cord, it's a piece of 1/4" halyard tied with a square knot dropped over the two leafs of the door, works perfectly...cost 15 cents.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fairtide »

I think that I posted a similar question about two weeks ago and someone suggested adding spacers such as washers between those velcro-like holdems and the door surfaces. This worked very well. If those plastic things become useless after a while, they can be replaced with new ones or you can find some alternate products that will be less obvious than cordage, bungees or shoelaces.
Howard (FairTide)
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

companionway doors on TE28

Post by fairtide »

Since my last reply in August when I thought that I had a solution, that solution failed and I installed a snap that would be used on a bimini or other canvas product on the parts of the door that had the original crummy plastic fastener. This seems to be working fine. The halves of the snap are screwed into the door panels with some washers behind each part. The washers bridge the gap that would not allow the snap to function.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”