• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Alarm Buzzer - Albin 36

VicTh
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Portland Maine

Alarm Buzzer - Albin 36

Post by VicTh »

Good afternoon. I have a 1987 36' Albin trawler. Recently, I picked up an alarm buzzer while underway. I want to have it checked but cannot determine cause of the alarm. Engine temp is fine. Oil pressure is fine. No high water in the bilge. What other sources are usually connected to the alarm? Sorry to ask a basic question, but cause does not appear to be obvious. Thanks for your help. Vic
jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: bayville, nj

Re: Alarm Buzzer - Albin 36

Post by jashmen »

Sorry I can't be much help. I believe ours is just oil, but might be mistaken. Something I guess I should figure out.
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

I think the original setup was only oil pressure and water temp. Now what a PO could have added, that is wide open. You seemed to have checked the big 3. One other that comes to mind is the "water flow"? (which would indicate a decrease in flow for the raw cooling water. I would look at the engine and see if you find any other sensors (basically a plug with 2 wires) in an odd location - once you know where it is, it will help diagnose what it may be. (could also be a faulty ground or sensor - kicking off when there is no issue)
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Post by cdsailor »

VicTh wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:59 pm Good afternoon. I have a 1987 36' Albin trawler. Recently, I picked up an alarm buzzer while underway. I want to have it checked but cannot determine cause of the alarm. Engine temp is fine. Oil pressure is fine. No high water in the bilge. What other sources are usually connected to the alarm? Sorry to ask a basic question, but cause does not appear to be obvious. Thanks for your help. Vic
Our 79 Albin 36 came with oil pressure and coolant temp alarm buzzers. If you haven't, I'd would verify oil pressure with a stand-alone gauge or mechanical gauge. Additionally, I'd shoot the engine in several spots with an IR thermometer to verify engine and coolant temps. Once confident that those values were within range, I'd likely consider replacing the alarm's sending unit. Since your buzzer happens underway, I suspect it's likely a coolant temp sensor. Good luck and let us know what you discover.

Return to “36/37/40/43”