• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Question about water leaks

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

DownEast2
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mystic

Question about water leaks

Post by DownEast2 »

I am trying to track down two water leaks on my 2001 28' TE.
During heavy rain, water leaks in and puddles in the outside rear corner of the quarter berth, you can follow the water drip up to the head liner in that back corner. I tried spraying water from a hose slowly up starting at the rub rail and working my way up to the hard top. First off I don't see any areas that look bad like around the port holes or the joint where the pilot house attaches. The stanchions all look secure and tight. I have caulked the joint for the radar arch and the pilot house. The port holes don't show any signs of leakage.
My question is has anyone taken the outside frame off the sliding glass side windows? I don't know how that is sealed or if water can get in the boat from that area.
Please help!
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Re: Question about water leaks

Post by Jkraft »

First thing I would do is take a hose and spray directly at the suspect areas one at a time. My money would be on the port holes. Mine looked good too but they were the culprit. I ran a caulk bead around them for the time being but pulling and rebedding is on the to do list.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
DownEast2
First Mate
First Mate

Post by DownEast2 »

I tried the hose route, it takes a while for the water to show up which made testing with a hose difficult. If I hose down an area and wait a half hour, it doesn't show up. Then hose the next area and a while later it starts dripping, it's frustrating.
I took a really good look at the port hole windows. The outside frames appear sealed very well. There was a small gap where the window frame goes through the hull. I applied caulk to see if that cures it for the time being. It may have to wait until spring, the boat is being covered for the winter.
There are plenty of things for me to do so I'll wait until next spring to continue my investigation.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

I had several small leaks on my 2001 28TE.
After replacing all the Beckson portholes the leaks stopped.
(The port holes are not through bolted from the Albin factory, only 20 year old caulk is holding the external trim ring in place, water get in the cabin trunk structure and start rotting out the core. Not good)
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
ReganNZ
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Bayswater, Auckland, New Zealand

Post by ReganNZ »

I have an Albin 28 TE 1998 approx. and have had several water leaks, Renewed silicone round the joins below windows, these were leaking into the quarter berth ,then radar arch which was also running down the side panels beside the 2 helm seats , etc. I now have found in heavy seas, 18 knots 1-2 meter roll I have water coming into the boat where the Hull joins the deck. This area is through bolted to the rubbing strip right around the boat. I have also noticed the sealant under the rubbing strip to be chalky .
Has anyone experience this and can offer possible solutions.
DownEast2
First Mate
First Mate

Post by DownEast2 »

Some of these leaks are tricky to find. I have caulked around all the port holes, the radar arch, the pilot house joint, the rub rail looks very tight and where I can see it on the inside its dry. This spring when the cover comes off I'll take one of the port holes out to see what's up with that. Basically I'm almost out of ideas as to how the water is getting in. The water show's itself in the quarter berth on the port side and under the head partition on the starboard side.
ReganNZ
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Bayswater, Auckland, New Zealand

Post by ReganNZ »

we stood with a hose on the outside spraying the boat in selected areas, took the ceiling out of the quarter berth and the wire electrical loom hole the water was running down.
First it was running down from the radar arch, fixed that but still leaking, we then renewed the silicone in the joint between the pilot house and the deck, leak is almost fixed. Port holes are the next, there appears to be an area between the pilot house windows and the upper deck that water can run between the two layers of fiberglass which drains to the hole where the electrical loom goes through. You can see this hole when you take the side panels off by driver and passage seat or view from below quarter berth with ceiling removed.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”