• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

MSBA Show

Moderator: RobS

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

MSBA Show

Post by Pitou »

:idea: Massachusetts Striped Bass Show this coming weekend at Stonehill College.
Planning to attend this coming Sunday with a fishing buddy. He attended last year and thought it was worth a return visit, so I've been recruited. He thought it actually had more tuna than bass gear / spreader bars, dredges, etc. Here's a link boys ......... http://www.msba.net/
http://www.stonehill.edu/admissions/pag ... ctions.htm how to get there.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

I may head over Sunday as well. Stonehill is not that far from my house (30 minutes). Just may help the fishing withdrawal symptoms.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Have fun

Post by Legacy »

Enjoy your trip to the show, I'll be stuck fishing in sunny Islamorada! Actually the show is pretty good, and not crazy like the Worcester event. Have fun, buy some stuff and get out of the fishing doldrums!

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Islamorada

Post by RicM »

Post some fish pics, Rick.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Will do

Post by Legacy »

Sure, now I've committed to posting pictures, means I'm going to have some slow fishing!

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

After attending the MSBA Show yesterday I feel as if spring is just around the corner. I did leave with a few goodies : a pair of out rodders to make trolling a pair of wire rigs with bunker spoons a bit easier / I saw them at the Boston Boat Show, Worcester Show and again this weekend I could not resist. Pretty nice aluminum set with white powder coat for $79.99, a couple of Ron-Z eels, a pack of the new Vision sand eels, some lead heads for the 9" sluggos for tuna jigging and some ideas for tying some wahoo wire trolling rigs for my upcoming Abaco trip. All and all .... a good event and not too crowded.
There were some good deals on tuna stand-up rods 30-80 lb. with Pac-Bay butts ..... only $190 bucks each. I already have 4 .... enough for now.
If you are able and did not attend this years event .... take it in next winter. I plan to attend again ! Here's to Spring !!!! 8)
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tuna Jigging

Post by RicM »

Tell me more about tuna jigging with sluggos....what colors, time of day, how do you rig? Do you chum?
I just tried tuna the first time last fall at the Mud Hole and we just trolled the whole time.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

I'm still on the learning curve myself. The guys up my way were jigging 9 inch white sluggos successfully this past season along with the white Ron-Z eels with lead heads. White was the color of choice. A couple of techniques .... casting with the big spin gear, I favor the Penn 950, cast across and snap/jig across sort of like retrieving a plug. The other method was to drop to the bottom and jig up through where you are marking fish jigging like a butterfly jig. I myself spent most of my time on the troll, but plan to spend alot more time on the jigging scene as so many were successful. can't wait to catch 'em up!

Here is a link to a local forum that shares alot of intel. A pretty helpful group like this Albin Forum. First Light Anglers were in Manchester-by-the Sea, MA and have moved to Rowley. They themselves are into the fly for blue fin, but also run charters with the spin gear. I am attending a boat club meeting this coming Thursday where the First Light guys will be there to talk tuna. I will be asking lots of questions and the sluggo techniques will be on the top of my list. I'll report back with more info. :wink:
http://www.firstlightanglers.com/bullet ... /index.php
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bluefin

Post by Pitou »

I did attend the tuna seminar last Thursday and picked up some good tips.

The guys from 1st Light are on the water with charters 7 days a week from June into November and cover ground from Gloucester's Cape Ann Marina running as far south as Provincetown and north to the Gulf of Maine, Jeffries, Boon Island, Isles of Shoals and Ipswich Bay.

The jigging was of my largest interest. They started using the new Shimano Trevala Butterfly Jigging Rods and big Stella with a 47" line recovery per turn of the handle. These are phenominal being of such light weight. You could jig all day with them. On the bulk score they sure beat the big St. Croix with the Penn 9500 that I was using (still not a bad set-up for throwing heavy metals). I have a rod on the short list and may match with a Sustain 8000 or put a Penn 8500 that I have in my arsenal for now. We'll see.

They were jigging anywhere from 50 - 240 gram jigs to match the bait. Larger jigs in June to match the mackeral & bunker runs and going to smaller jigs when the sand eels balled up in summer. They were saying they had no luck with any jig that was not white or silver on the bottom. 6" tan with white belly sluggos with 1 - 1 1/2 oz jig heads to also match the sand eels. This summer the balls of sand eels on Stellwagen were unbelievable. Look for whales and birds. To present your bait at the right depth drop your jig to the bottom and time with your watch. Do a litttle math ..... to keep it simple ... how many seconds for 10 ft increments and present your bait to just below where the marks are on the depth finder and reel to the top and repeat. They were saying and I BELIEVE that this is what I should have been doing when the troll goes cold. And just like bassing when the tide is moving, all the better.

If the New England Rendezvous lands in Boston, I'll have gear on board.

http://firstlightanglers.com/
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tuna jigging

Post by Legacy »

Good recap on the jigging lesson. Suggest posting in the fishing section too! We fish the tuna near and on Stellwagen and have had luck with the Shimano butterfly jig with the light brown and white abalone look. Best not to run and gun too much, watch where they are moving to and then try to anticipate their next location. By setting up early in front and killing the engines, we've had the fish stay up much longer. Besides, the vast majority of the fish are not jumping out, but are zipping around underneath. Excellent tip of keeping your baits just under the bait schools. We use a sharpie and mark the line every 20 feet so you can quickly get a sense on how deep you need to be.
Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"

Return to “Fishing”