• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Battery problem

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Battery problem

Post by gmberkley »

I'm told I have two flooded cell leadacid batteries, per the picture attached, the date on them is August 2019, the battery over the keel has issues, the sides are bulging out. My mechanic said it is due to overheating, and the battery is damaged and suspect. Therefore I purchased two new ones, (an unplanned $1,500) (Kevin Street's acronym for BOAT, Break Out Another Thousand) is one of the million things he nailed!!

my concern, what caused the overheating, and how can I be sure it won't happen to the new batteries, the second battery on the starboard side is fine, but I replaced it anyway, I'm told when replacing batteries, do all of them.

Has anyone experienced this problem? thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Gregg M. Berkley 25 Ton Master USCG
2005 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck
Fairhaven, MA
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Battery problem

Post by Norseman »

Has anyone experienced this problem? thanks
In short, No..
My boat came with 3 lead acid batteries from 2017, I replaced them about 8 months ago:
Paid around $500.
You must have gotten AGMs or some other fancy batteries for $1,500?
65EC8B80-CBE0-4591-A7BB-D28182E43D7A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

It is more than likely your charger causing the cooking. You should also check the voltage regulator to see if it is working. It is the other source of charging that could be cooking the battery.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

The overheating is generally caused by a charging issue.
What do you have for a charger and does it have a temp sensor lead attached to on eof the battery banks? If you do not have a charger that has a sensor consider one that does such as an appropriately sized ProMariner ProNautic .. so sorry to continue to spend your hard earned money.

Well maintained batteries from 2019 should have plenty of life left in them. My three wet lead acid banks from 2017 are all still very robust.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

All,
this is the best picture I presently have of the battery charger. I have no experience with electrical issues, totally foreign to me, hence the question where would the voltage regulator be found, near the alternator on the engine? or near the battery bank or charger or none of the above? do you think the batteries being placed in a plastic box with cover is a bad thing? should I take the cover off and leave it off? Thanks for your time and help
Fairhaven, MA
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Get a multimeter and set it on DC 20v scale or as close to that scale as possible. Turn off your charger, Measure the battery voltage and note, start the engine and get the motor to 2k rpm and measure the voltage again. Anything over 14.8 means the regulator is not trimming to output.

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Alte ... lator-Test
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Ah yes...battery electrics. A degree program or a check.

A knowledgeable marine electrician may be your shortest path to success. And ultimately may be your cheapest. They are out there, but may be busy.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

I speak as one who once regularly maintained 800 tons of lead-acid submarine battery.
Batteries, no matter what kind, really need TLC, which may mean getting a hydrometer, a gallon of distilled water, a good turkey baster and checking electrolyte levels regularly. I also have a B&D autocharger and a new onboard charger and a separate voltage indicator. I also remove the batteries in winter and keep them in our garage, with an occasional trickle charge.
This may be rampant overkill, but the current batteries are five years old.
I rest my case.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Noticed in the pic that the charger is set for flooded (lead acid) batteries. If you've change battery type you need to change that setting to match the batteries.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmberkley »

I guess it pays to read,......................my new batteries have this warning label on them, after reading that, I checked the picture of my old batteries.............same warning,

VENTILATE WELL, DO NOT INSTALL IN AIR TIGHT CONTANER

The battery that was on the keel was completely enclosed by the previous owner, I ran the boat last year and had no idea it was an issue, until this past winter when I went through the entire boat and rebuild/replaced most everything, and had to take the batteries out to access certain places in the boat, then I noticed the bulging sides. the battery on the starboard side was not covered, and it had no bulges. as I mentioned, I replaced both of them, they do not need maintenance, like my previous batteries, the cells are closed, they are AGM batteries. Also a friend who has a multimeter did check the system out per Mike's directions and it was ok, so we are assuming, the fact the battery was in an enclosed air tight case it caused it's demise. thanks to all for your guidance.
Fairhaven, MA

Return to “Albin Maintenance”