• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Distribution panels. Albin 25

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Meridian Mississippi

Distribution panels. Albin 25

Post by Thumper74 »

This is not my picture. Just using it for a reference.

So can I use one panel for ( the one similar to the blue circle) everything that runs off the starting battery.

Then use one panel ( similar to the red one circled) for house supply and if I switch the battery to “”both””???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
1975 albin 25 motorsailer
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Distribution panels. Albin 25

Post by dkirsop »

I would add one more panel for accessories that must always have power. Typically this is for bilge pumps, solar battery charger and memory maintainers for such things as radios if necessary (anything you do not want to accidentally switch off).
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Thumper74 »

dkirsop wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:59 pm I would add one more panel for accessories that must always have power. Typically this is for bilge pumps, solar battery charger and memory maintainers for such things as radios if necessary (anything you do not want to accidentally switch off).
This is a great idea. I’m just trying to get a game plan together.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Check out Maine Sail for overall electrical systems.

Start here:
https://marinehowto.com/category/electrical/

See 1/2/both article and ponder it at length.
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Thumper74 »

WillieC wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:12 am Check out Maine Sail for overall electrical systems.
Ok boss man. You have led me to the site twice now. Once for bedding hardware. Now the electric. Guess I will give the whole site a good once over…. See what golden nuggets I can find.

Thanks for leading this boat to the water. Now I’ll do the rest and make it float. :)
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

The pilot had fun building his space/ time machine/warp drive cruiser. You get to do the same. Remove crap to the systems you need, then those you would like to keep if most of it is still there. Then add on later. You have a good start by removing disconnected wires.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Mostly what I did with a major rework of DC distribution was to use Don Casey's book "Sailboat Electrics Simplified" as a guide. Blue Sea Systems has some better distribution terminal blocks than what I used, but the main thing was to have the positive (+) and negative (-) terminals on separate buss bar strips.

House circuit 12V ground terminals to the left, positives tot the right. The external reg in this picture has since been replaced by a newer more solid state version from the same vendor. The smaller 4 terminal strip at upper right brings power from the house bank thru a 30 Amp fuse and supplies power to two fused switch panels at the helm. Wires from those lead back to the larger positive terminal strips seen in this picture.
20161220_152559.jpg
In the picture below the yellow + wire at bottom right label "Switched Power to Regulator" is positive feed even though by current ABYC codes yellow is supposed to be for negative. But that wire was part of the wires from the regulator itself, which as since been replaced by a newer version after the first one had numerous failures. The terminal strip above the engine hour meter gets all its power via the engine ignition switch, engine wire harness, & start battery circuit. The right half is part of the Start Isolation feature of the Blue Sea Systems main battery switch.
20161220_154728 (1024x576).jpg
7650.jpg
SI-ACR relay shown with covers removed.
20161220_145455.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “Albin Maintenance”