• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar impeller

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Yanmar impeller

Post by WillieC »

This impeller belongs to a Yanmar engine.

Are these threads supposed to aid in removal? What else do I need to know?
IMG-7006.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
spover
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: North Shore of Massachusetts

Re: Yanmar impeller

Post by spover »

Yes, the threads are for a 2 piece puller. A bushing threads into the impeller and a bolt threads into the bushing and pushes against the pump shaft to remove the impeller. Otherwise, it's just an impeller. The impeller can also be pulled using other pullers/methods. The pump is likely made by Johnson pumps.
2006 35 Command Bridge (Current)
1985 27 Sport Cruiser (Sold)
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Thank you! Where might one find such a puller? This could be valuable given the near inaccessibility of said pump.
spover
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: North Shore of Massachusetts

Post by spover »

Try a Google search for Johnson Pump Puller. There are 3 sizes so make sure you get the correct one form your impeller. Looks like they are readily available for ~$20. Even Amazon has them.
2006 35 Command Bridge (Current)
1985 27 Sport Cruiser (Sold)
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Thanks again. New boat, new things.
Much appreciated.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

On a related note...

The replacement impeller came with a different o-ring used by Yanmar. Clearly the correct o-ring will need to be ordered from Yanmar (at least the first one).

My question: how hard is it to order, obtain, and get the right part the first time? I am planning on servicing all three heat exchangers and see that I need about 15 different o-rings, in addition to the one (or is it two?) for the impeller. I have an online parts catalog specific to my engine, 4LH-TE, so theoretically I should be able to get the right part, but where do I order from?

The Yanmar parts network is interesting. I have spoken with the good folks in Anacortes, authorized Yanmar provider, and they clued me in to a more local Yanmar supplier about twenty minutes from us on the Canal. A tractor/loader/dirt tool company, mainly selling Kubota tractors!

I'm all for ordering locally, but I really want to avoid second and third trips for measly o-rings. (It took me a while to find parts for my fifty year old Volvo Penta engine, but I finally figured it out. I know this is possible for Yanmar parts, too.)

Servicing these coolers appears to be the critical thing with these engines, and likely most of many engines that have aluminum parts in, on, or soon to be immersed in saltwater.

Simple question: how does one order Yanmar parts?

Thank you!
Patrickgoggin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Beach

Post by Patrickgoggin »

I am in Southern California and order parts from Boatswains locker in Costa Mesa for my 6LP-STE.

I always verify part numbers based on the exploded diagrams and associated parts lists from this web site. Sometimes the website lists a new part number for a part that has been discontinued.

https://yanmarshop.com/en-GB/catalog/al ... mar-marine

I do not think that I have ever received the wrong part using this approach. I have rebuilt all the coolers, replaced the timing belt and tensioner, the turbo, all the cooling hoses, impeller and the dipstick tube as well as other maintenance.

That is my experience. Hope it is helpful.
Patrick

2000 Albin 28 TE “Phantom”
1978 34’ Californian LRC “Spirit” (Prev)
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Very helpful, thank you.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

I highly recommend changing the entire water pump, instead of the impeller.
The achilles heel of these Yanmar engines are water pump seals failing spraying saltwater on the engine whenever it is running, causing big problems.
The impeller it self last longer than the shaft seals.

Have 1 or 2 extra water pumps ready to swap out, then send in the old one for complete service including impeller and seals.
I got between 140 and 400 hours on these pumps before they started spraying salt water underneath the engine and corroding the oil pan.

Complete pump with manifold and impeller:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Yes, a spare pump is in the works. Thanks.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”