• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Composting toilet options for A25

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Composting toilet options for A25

Post by tribologist »

The coming July we are planning for a trip from Kingston then up Trent-Severn as far as we get. During last summers trip from Montreal to Kingston we were close on capacity Thetford portapotty being forced to make it urine separating with a salad bowl… not ideal. This year we will put in a composting toilet. Natures Head and Air Head are the most common. I know Norman’s has a Natures head in their A25 and are happy with it so thats a strong contender but i love to learn about other options. (I thought i made a thread on this before but i did not find it.)

Any pictures of installs would be greatly appreciated!

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Composting toilet options for A25

Post by WillieC »

We are installing an OGO dessicating toilet in our new boat.
1. We are fine not storing and lugging a 5 gallon bucket of night soil off the boat. (OGO employs a removable bucket.)
2. We are perfectly happy using the battery to stir same soil.
3. I came to my senses when the Starfleet Commander suggested a composting toilet even after I had figured out how to make MSD porta potty pumps and Y valves all work. What a mess.
4. We will no longer schedule our journeys around potential functioning pump outs, which don’t really exist in BC.
5. The limited electrical draw fully justifies the thousands spent on rewiring, new batts, functional bigazz switches, etc.
6. BONUS! I have more room in the minuscule engine enclosure to jam even more stuff into.

I’ll keep you posted of our potty improvements and enhanced quality of life therefrom.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

WillyC, THank you for suggesting that unit

OGO Looks like a pretty nice unit. I looked at a few sites and it looks easier to maintain than the Natures head and Air Head. Have you purchased it yet?

One of the things I really dislike with the current Thetford cassette is when you pull the boat from where there is no pump-out and first have to be concerned over it bumping over the road and then have to log it out and empty in the toilet at home. For me having a personal Holding tank, (colostomy ) the height and the larger hole with help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vluivjszTQ
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Yes we just bought the OGO. We have not installed it yet, attending to home projects with this lovely stretch of weather we are experiencing.

The OGO had the smallest bulk of the popular units except for maybe the Swedish brand but it is more expensive by far. When I get back to it, I’ll post some pics. Installation is pretty straightforward.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

WillieC wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:38 am Yes we just bought the OGO. We have not installed it yet, attending to home projects with this lovely stretch of weather we are experiencing.

The OGO had the smallest bulk of the popular units except for maybe the Swedish brand but it is more expensive by far. When I get back to it, I’ll post some pics. Installation is pretty straightforward.
I think I will be ordering one too. The vent charcoal filter and the overall design make me think it is the one to get.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Scudrunner
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Searsport, Maine & Jacksonville Beach, Florida

Post by Scudrunner »

I put in the C-Head Short. The biggest problem with most composite toilets in the A-25 head is the height and base footprint. This one works but just barely.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Scudrunner, the OGO IS 16x15x18-3/8. WxDxH. C-Head 15.3x20x18 and the one i have now is a Dometic 965 MSD is 16.5x14.5x15.5. Wonder how the height works? For me its not an issue since i have a front mounted butt (colostomy since a little cancer episode back in 2016)…. But i wonder how the rear-butters will fit.. its on order but with 30 day return. We will see
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Got it today. Looks excellent! Need to uncover the boat and get started on the installation! For you that have similar units, where did you vent them?
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Tuckerspohr
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Bend OR

Post by Tuckerspohr »

On the Minnow we installed an Air Head and LOVE it. Plumbed it in with a stealth urine discharge foot pump which works like a charm.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Tuckerspohr wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:59 pm On the Minnow we installed an Air Head and LOVE it. Plumbed it in with a stealth urine discharge foot pump which works like a charm.
Iäm thinking one could set it up as a siphon so as soon as it get high enough it would self drain?
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

tribologist wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:13 pm Iäm thinking one could set it up as a siphon so as soon as it get high enough it would self drain?
Eeewww. :D Like in a slip? Or in front of a restaurant? Or in a lock?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Nancy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:10 pm
tribologist wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:13 pm Iäm thinking one could set it up as a siphon so as soon as it get high enough it would self drain?
Eeewww. :D Like in a slip? Or in front of a restaurant? Or in a lock?

Anywhere but in the ool. No ”p” in our pool
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

I think the right at door option is what i will go for. Going to pick up a nice 3/4” piece of plywood to mount it too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

I finished our installation. Too easy and it opened up a decent area for spares storage where the holding tank used to be. I can't hear the fan running so one of the benefits of growing ancient.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

WillieC wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:50 pm I finished our installation. Too easy and it opened up a decent area for spares storage where the holding tank used to be. I can't hear the fan running so one of the benefits of growing ancient.

What location did you use?
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”