• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

I regretfully have to sell my 28TE

Selling your Albin? List it here. Doing upgrades and want to share your usable stuff? Looking for a good deal? No commercial listings please.

Moderator: Nancy

Forum rules
Links to external personal sites and photo hosting sites are allowed. Links to dealers, brokers, eBay, etc., will be edited/removed by the moderators.
We strongly encourage you post pictures and details directly within your ad.
AlbinOhhh
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Arizona (not much water here)

I regretfully have to sell my 28TE

Post by AlbinOhhh »

I bought my Albin 28TE off this forum several months ago, and took off on “The Great Loop” with my dog Harry. We started April 1st. This was to be our epic trip — a guy and his dog.

For a dog who’s only prior boat experience was riding big ferries, he was doing pretty well and adjusting until we took off out of Oriental, NC and got bounced around quite a bit. The boat did great, the dog, not so much.

Every day I have taken off since then he’s been nervous. He’s a gun shy hunting dog so only my pet, and I’m now concerned he’s becoming “boat shy” to anything but the slowest speed on the calmest waters. He shakes and keeps trying to wedge himself into the helm area, where he gets his head caught in the wheel.

It was suggested I just get him on drugs, however I don’t want to drug my dog every day for the next 6-9 months. I’d do it for a few days, but months is ridiculous to me.

Think of this as a “feeler thread” to sell my Albin 28TE. It’s been performing flawlessly, and beyond “road grime” it’s in great shape. Lots of spare parts. Recent oil change, fuel filter changes, and transmission fluid change. It likely will need bottom paint soon. It Also sports a new Garmin 1042xsv chart plotter. This is not yet properly interfaced into the radio AIS.

Current hours 1630-ish.

As of this posting I’m in Deltaville, and will continue up the Chesapeake until I hit a big enough town to find a good boat broker, and make my final decision, though I think it’s kind of made.

I really don’t want to do this, but I can’t be cruel to my First Mate Harry. At 11.5 years old, it’s not fair to punish him as much as I’m loving my trip.

I may consider a partial trade towards a used camper van, or just a plain van. I’d like to just keep traveling with him for several months to come. I’m not interested in a big RV, trailer (I have no vehicle to pull it), diesel pusher or similar. Just a van. I know he definitely likes road trips as we’ve done plenty of those.

If you’re interested drop me a message here with your name and number.

Thanks,

Dan

Prior thread with more info here:

https://albinowners.net/aog/viewtopic.php?t=14402

My blog post of where my dog “lost it”

https://greatloop.substack.com/p/took-a-lickin
:!: Looking for my mid-life crisis in my 60’s…
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: I regretfully have to sell my 28TE

Post by Nancy »

Very sorry to hear this. Poor Harry. Would it make any sense to lay up for a few days, give Harry a break, discuss with a vet? Any chance that your schedule is flexible enough that you can avoid rough water?
Whatever you decide, you're not the first person whose plans have changed because the dog got overwhelmed.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

Detlaville yachting center is a good brokerage. Another good broker is upper Chesapeake yacht sales in Worton. Tell him JB referred you. Hopefully you can find a way to make it work. That boat would sell easily on the Chesapeake. You have it in the right spot to sell it if you decide to
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
AlbinOhhh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlbinOhhh »

Nancy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:11 pm Very sorry to hear this. Poor Harry. Would it make any sense to lay up for a few days, give Harry a break, discuss with a vet? Any chance that your schedule is flexible enough that you can avoid rough water?
Whatever you decide, you're not the first person whose plans have changed because the dog got overwhelmed.
I’ve had a few times where I’ve spent a few days in port. Once the water gets worse than basically flat he gets super nervous. Throw in swells and he’s jamming himself into the helm area, panting like no tomorrow.

I thought of seeing a vet but drugging my dog daily for 6-9 months just doesn’t sit well with me.

Sadly he was doing well until that one day…
AlbinOhhh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlbinOhhh »

Jkraft wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:26 pm Detlaville yachting center is a good brokerage. Another good broker is upper Chesapeake yacht sales in Worton. Tell him JB referred you. Hopefully you can find a way to make it work. That boat would sell easily on the Chesapeake. You have it in the right spot to sell it if you decide to
I’m in Deltaville right now. I was going to run it up to Annapolis but I’ll call here first.
Cliff6672
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Oxford md

Post by Cliff6672 »

Sorry you have to change plans. I’m looking for a 28te flush deck what is yours? Thanks
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

The behavior you describe is heartbreaking.
I wouldn't want to sedate an animal either, no matter how mild, for any length of time.
I agree with JB that you're in a great place to put your boat on the market. We bought our 28TE in Deltaville in 2012.
Wishing you the best.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
mjbiceman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Red Bank NJ

Post by mjbiceman »

Hi Dan,
I would like to talk with you further.
Also with traveling with the pups I've had some luck with Thunder Wunders calming chews on Amazon/Chewy
Thank You,
Mike
732-673-3198
AlbinOhhh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlbinOhhh »

Cliff6672 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:40 am Sorry you have to change plans. I’m looking for a 28te flush deck what is yours? Thanks
The engine box style
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Feel free to post to the long thread describing all the work I did to this boat:

https://albinowners.net/aog/viewtopic.php?t=10612
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Norseman wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:57 pm Feel free to post to the long thread describing all the work I did to this boat when and if you decide to sell it.
(How much?)

2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
AlbinOhhh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlbinOhhh »

Norseman wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:57 pm Feel free to post to the long thread describing all the work I did to this boat:

Done. Sadly.

She’s really a great boat. But I can’t teach my old dog new tricks. And after 10.5 years together, I’ll postpone my Great Loop until after he passes.

You’ve been very helpful along the way.

Return to “Swap / Trade / Sell”